• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weeds in my new lawn

JoeTC

I just got my lawn sodded a few weeks ago and I have some weeds coming up and spreading in certain areas. One of the types of weeds is some type of thistle that looks a littly fuzzy and the other is a broader grassy weed that grows up through my grass and sticks out much higher. The second one looks like crab grass but it isn't as bunched up so I think it may be another type of weed. Anyways, my question is what should I do to kill and prevent the spread of these weeds? Is there a good product I can use this time of year that won't kill my good grass? The areas aren't too widespread so some sort of spray may be an option if that's the best way to go. Thanks for any help!

Joe

First off, most applications are going to require that you wait until you've mowed the grass 3-4 times before you apply.

Secondly, the thistle or broadleaf weeds will all be taken care of by a quality broadleaf herbicide.

Lastly, the grassy weed you're talking about is probably a variation of blue grass, basically what you just planted, but with a broader, taller leaf.

About the only solution you have for that is to get a hockey stick with a sponge taped to it and walk around swiping the taller plants with the sponge dipped in RoundUp.

Either that, or just not worry about it.

If you keep up your sod, it should eventually choke out the grassy weeds.

Mow the sod no shorter than 3", keeping it closer to 4".

Water frequently and apply fertilizer 3-4 times / year.

This is how sod is grown / made, and what is needed to be done to take care of it.