• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding tilt/trim to Mercury?

AJ

Is it easy to add a power tilt/trim to a mid-80s Mercury? The motor has no power tilt now. It is a tiller motor. Just the two cyinders that help decrease the resistance when you manually pull the motor up. I really want this so that I can tilt the motor up at shallow launches, shallow water, etc. while keeping the motor running. If it is possible, ballpark pricing and where to purchase/install? Thanks.

AJ,

I have looked into doing the same thing with my Merc. 500 50hp. This is a console boat so there is a bit of difference here, but there are add-on lift systems out there. As far as the cost, I'm not sure of the costs associated to aftermarket lifts or a OEM used lifts but I do know that the add-on lift I am looking into runs about $900.00, cheaper than a new outboard by far, but may not be the most economical solution - depending on how much mechanical prowess you possess. If you would like more information on these systems let me know...

XRap

I have a 1985 50HP Merc also,After much searching I have come to Panther Model 55 Power Tilt and Trim. Google it.I've looked alot,priced seperate parts,Whole units,This is cheaper and easier to install.

Panther Model 55 Power Tilt and Trim

That works too if you're ok with the aftermarket version. It adds a bit of setback to your motor.. be sure to bolt it up tight, and be sure that you've got a solid transom.

marine_man

Originally Posted By: jentz
Panther Model 55 Power Tilt and Trim

That works too if you're ok with the aftermarket version. It adds a bit of setback to your motor.. be sure to bolt it up tight, and be sure that you've got a solid transom.

marine_man

I have a solid transom,I am going to through bolt it on with some 3/16 alum.angle on the inside of the transom running the width of it,After thinking the foot print of the unit isn't much smaller than the motor mount, so any pressure points arent really a concern.and the angle will distribute the energy more so than just a motor mount.

The angle iron is a good plan. My point was that it's an addition setback over a "production" tirm and tilt that keeps the motor very close to the transom. In general, I don't think it's an issue... but something to keep in mind.

marine_man