• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to Hook Up Trolling Motor

chasineyes

How do I hook up my 24V trolling motor to the batteries? I believe I run a jump wire from one batteries negative to the other batteries positive, then I run the positive wire from the trolling motor to one of the batteries positive and the negative from the motor to the other batteries negative. Is that right? And should it read 24.00 V when using a voltmeter or will it still just read 12.8 like it is now? Also could this be what's causing our tolling motor to give 3 audible beeps when we plug it in.

Thanks for the help

How many wires does the trolling motor/plug have? Sometimes they require a 12V source too, so you'd need to run three or even four wires.

You're battery wiring sounds good. You should read 24V on your multimeter if you measure between the positive terminal of Battery #1 and the negative terminal of Battery #2.

Some after market plugs do this switch for you. Could it be you bought one of these? I think it has an orange wire in it. If so, hook it up like a 12v battery and you'd be good to go.

Just to clarify, two batteries ran in series will give you 24v. To do this, run the positive from the trolling motor to the positive on battery one and the negative from the trolling motor to the negative terminal on battery two. Run short jumper from negative on battery one to positive on battery two.