• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips and or pictures on rigging kicker motor

DIESELDAN

Wondering if anyone has some tips or pictures on how they rigged there kicker motor. I'm not sure how to tie the motors together or the best spot to place the controls? Little info on rig 19 foot lund pro v with a 200 hp yahama vmax, kicker is a t8 yahama with eletric start and tilt+trim control style. any info, advice or pictures on how you did yours would be greatly apreceated thanx DieselDan

What kind of steering do you have on your main motor? Hydraulic, or cable?

To tie the motors together mechanically, you've got two options - a tie rod with ball joints (pretty inexpensive) or a EZ Steer type system, which some people have had good luck with.

If it's hydraulic, and you're willing to spend the bucks, I'm pretty sure they make a kicker connection for it that works pretty nice, but is a little more spendy.

As far as routing the controls, I would run them up front, and mount the control box below and slightly behind the current controls. There might be room to route the cables & electrical harness in the same area as your main motor (through the boot on the starboard side of the splashwell).

marine_man

my motor has hydrolic steering. How does that change the way the kicker motor is steered? It seems like the motor steers ok even when motor is'nt running. This whole kicker motor setup is new to me, my last boat was a small 16' alumacraft with a 25hp and I have'nt really even looked at a bigger boat with a kicker motor to see how everything is set up. hopefully it will all go smoothly. any other advice info or pictures would be great.

Thanx, DieselDan

Like I said, you've got a couple of options...

Since you have Hydraulic Steering you could do something like this, made by Teleflex called the Kicker Cable Tie Bar

Teleflex-Innovative-Linkage.jpg

Some sort of ball joint / tie rod arrangement (the cheapest option):

44130.JPG

Or a EZ Steer Type of System (shown with a I/O in this case)

P8030151-2.jpg

marine_man