• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to start?

Where should I start my search for Pannies (crappies mostly) for their spawning areas? I fish this lake near my house all the time in the summer and do just fine but can never find them during the spawn. Same on a few other lakes, one of which I am trying in the morning. What should I concentrate most on for my search of these lil buggers this time of year?

I use small hair jigs, plastics, minnows, and everything else... just lacking of where to find them... or start to look for them

Thanks,

Jordyn

Might be a little early to find them in spawing areas, right now they are feeding heavily. Once the water hits around 60 for few days in a row then you'll be able to find them up spawning. After that the males will stay on their beds and are fairly easy to sight which again will show you where they will spawn. Look for shallow protected bays, north end if possible. If it's a muck or mud bottom, it won't be a spawning area, but they will feed in there this time of year. I look for pencil reeds with bottom that has scattered vegetation, if you have sand or gravel it will most likely be no good. If no pencil reeds are available then the search gets harder, they will be in the same type of bottom and most likely near shore. Once you find their spawing areas, you should be able to get them this time of year while they are staging. If you have some areas where they feed this time of year but don't spawn in, the spawning grounds typically aren't too far away. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Start by any boat harbors, channels then try the north side of the bays or the lake it self. dont be afraid to fish really shallow and if its windy check the windy side of the lake. I've fished the north side of the lake with a real strong south wind and I smacked them inches from the north shore line.

Good Luck Jordyn

Thanks guys! today I was out and it was a B**** trying to fish the windy side where I normally would catch them in the summer, just closer to shore I tried... Hard to control the boat out there! Im gonna do all I can to do whatever it takes tomorrow to catch my first open water fish of 2010!

go around to all of the bays and keep an eye on the water temp. Wherever you find the warmest water will be holding fish.

If there are any bays that are more mucky/dark bottomed, go to the mouths of the bays and check for fish. On a nicer day they might be in the bays, on a windy/colder day, they will probably be hanging around the mount of the bay waiting for a chance to head into it when the weather turns.