• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone started seeds indoors yet?

RumRiverRat

Im taking a Greenhouse crop production class in college and basically the hole class is geared around our spring sale, all we have been doing is starting seeds, transferring seedlings into 10-04's or 12-04's, taking cuttings, and potting up plugs. we have just been doing flowers so far. We JUST started doing a few herbs and havn't started doing any veggies yet. Its still a little early to start most veggie unless you want some BEASTS lol last year when i wasn't as knowledgeable in Horticulture as i am now I started my tomato's right around now and ended up with some 5 ft BEASTS! ...If thats what your going for then start them now, but remember they will require alot of staking and tieing up (One thing that is nice about having rly tall tomato plants is you can remove ALOT of lower leaves//branchs so you dont have to worry about blight as much.

Don't forget to get your seeds early this year. they are predicting a shortage of certain verities of cucumber, onion, snap pea and carrot seeds this summer. They say this is due to the horrible growing season we had last year and increased demand from Europeans... But i think it has more to do with fewer farmers growing veggie crops for seed because they are growing corn now for government ethanol subsidies

I started my Aji Dulce peppers on Jan 26th... And then also planted my Alpine strawberries (From seed) at the same time.

Then I planted 2 Rosalita (Heirloom Grape Tom) and Some Moskovich seeds just to try to force flower them in May and see if I can have some toms for my table by Mid June... (Same with the Greek Oregano and Genovese basil)

Jalapeno's were planted yesterday, as were the Cherokee Purple Tomatoes.

Then this weekend is the rest of the Tomatoes

Moskovich: Early season Ox Heart

Black Cherries: Name says it all

Rosalita: Rare Grape Tom

Brandywine: Gourmet slicer

San Marzano: Best Sauce Tomato in the world

San Marzano Redorta: Plump SM

Then a week after I plant the peperoncini and ground cherries

A week after that... the rest of the herbs.