• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

metro outboard repair

jwmiller33

i have a mid 80s 35hp Johnson that needs a couple things fixed before the open water season and i am looking at getting it in somewhere to get fixed in the next couple weeks.

my motor is a long shaft and has electric start and

one day this summer while i was out fishing, the electric start just stopped working in the middle of the day. i would turn the key over and all i would hear was a "vrooooom" sound. i kind of just ignored the problem all summer and used the pull start because i didn't have the money to get it fixed. so when i take the cover off and turn the key over, i can see this one gear thingy spin. it is supposed to engage up and catch in the flywheel, but it does not engage and it just stays down and spins and that is the vrooom sound i was hearing.

so i need to get that fixed and i also need to get a new spring for my tilt/trim... there is a lever to flip for tilt/trim, and when you want to pull the motor up, you just flip the lever and the motor is free to move up. lately, whats been happening is there is a spring that attached onto a skinny bolt that is about 4-5 inches long and has a sheer pin that keeps it on. i dont know if the tension on the spring got loose or something, but the spring comes off of the bolt, and then the tilt/trim level doesnt work. so i went to the hardware store and bought a couple sheer pins, and i take the bolt off and then put the spring back on the bolt, and put on a new sheer pin. i need a pliers to do this, and it only takes a minute or two to do, but it is a real pain and ive been having to do it every time before i go out fishing because this spring keeps coming off every time i take the boat out. it is impossible to put the spring back on when i am in the water, so i am kind of S.O.L. when it breaks and i can't put the motor up, so i have to be extremely careful loading and beaching the boat. the last time i went fishing, i put the spring back on the bolt and by the time i got to the boat launch (5 min away) the spring was already off again.

i am looking for a place that can fix these two things for me, and also give my motor a once over and see if there is anything else that needs to be tuned up before the season starts (maybe clean out the carbs).

does anybody have any good recommendations on people/shops that would do this for a good price? thanks

Ive got a guy that works out of his house on the side. Does awsome work and is very affordable. Email me and I can shoot you his number. Out the of Afton area. Rebuilt my Yamaha 150 power head and a couple years later the lower unit.

brickandsand at live.com