• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone fishin' the Missouri River-SD

JIGSTER

Just wondering if anyone had any info to share on the fishing near Chamberlain?I'm sure this cold spell put a damper on things but I still got the itch to get in the boat!
Thanks for any info!!

Keep Jiggin'

Jigster

Had a customer come through the shop yesterday and said the bite was on....shore angling was even great! Cold snap probably zipped the lips a bit...watch the weather this week, when it starts to warm up again, head for the border!

We've got a group heading to Mobridge in April, hoping the weather and the bite cooperates. Last year was wet and cold, and 12 inches of snow on the last day! Hopes are high for this spring!

We also plan on going out to either Chamberlain or Waubay/Enemy Swim Lake area weekend of April 20. Anyone have suggestions on resorts or lodging? Seems like not much info on internet on Chamberlain area. I have not been to Chamberlain area so any info would be appreciated.

Muleskinner...We stayed in Chamberlain two years ago. There are a couple of nice places. Stayed at Cedar Shore resort...think it was under radisson management then...caught some flack for not "roughing" it on a fishing trip!...But the hot-tub was a welcome ammenity after a cold day on the river!

There is also the Oasis in...Adjacent to Al's Oasis, where you can get some great info on hot bite locations....

Here's the URL for Chamberlain hotel info:
http://www.sdmotels.com/chamberlain.htm

Good luck....and good fishing!

I fish Oahe every year out of West Pollock Resort. Catching a limit of 10 is never a problem and just about any technique works, so it's a good place to try out something new. The owners name is Denny. They have several packages available all are reasonable. Their # is (605) 889-2448

If you're going to Chamberlain give Garry Allen a call at the Hillside Motel(1-800-435-5591)They own several motels in the area and guide on the river daily.If these guys can't put you on the fish noone will.I've stayed there several times and the people are very easy going.Also you can buy bait,tackle and license right at the motel.check out sportsmansweb.com/allens
Good Luck!!!!

Jigster

Fishtrap2, Just got a e'mail from Jensons, lot of "bad" ice yet and are waiting for a "good warm spring wind" to take off the rest of the ice. First time I've seen news about Pollack, I will be out there too when it happens!
Maybe see you's at Berts!

Please forgive me for being uniformed about South Dakota, and I apologize for bringing this up at "Fishing Minnesota". I tried to post about the same question regarding fishing the Missouri river earlier this week, but the post was lost somewhere.
My family would like to try camping and fishing around Mobridge in mid-June. I'd heard that Non-Resident licenses were inexpensive, and walleye limits were really liberal. True? Can a family with small children go out in a shallow hull 14 foot boat and catch limits of eating size walleyes there? Are there campgrounds available nearby, or even on the lake? I'd really appreciate any info you might share. Other websites? Thanks!

I'd be learry of bringing children out in a 14ft flat bottom on the Missouri. I was out in a 17 ft Fishhawk last year and it wasn't much fun when the wind came up! Last year a nonresident annual family license was $61 including the agent fee. There is a special license that you can get just for Oahe though. Here is the info on Oahe from the SD GFP site...

http://www.state.sd.us/gfp/fishing/LakeOahe/2002info.htm

Lake Oahe has new walleye regulations for 2002. The limits for walleye are now 10 daily and 30 in possession. Current size restrictions remain in effect. The daily limit may include no more than four walleye/sauger 15-inches or longer in length, and no more than one of those may be 18-inches or longer . These rules are in effect year-round.

Licenses: Reduced licenses will again be available for Lake Oahe anglers. Resident annual Lake Oahe licenses are available for $7. Nonresident annual Lake Oahe licenses cost $20, either for the individual or family. The family license is valid for the immediate family and includes just one, combined limit of fish. Lake Oahe licenses are available from the GFP License Office in PIerre or from other license agents near Lake Oahe. For links to a listing of GFP offices or license agents, see online at http://www.state.sd.us/gfp/fishing/Index.htm.

The walleye population on Lake Oahe is currently out-of-balance, dominated by small, slow-growing fish. Allowing anglers to keep 10 walleyes a day, and at most four walleyes equal to or longer than 15-inches, during 2002, will help restore balance to this walleye population. So, when fishing Oahe in 2002, harvesting small walleyes (under 15 inches) is the "right thing to do."

Hope that this helps, Oahe can be a great time!

Capt'nJosh