• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Having Non Resident In Darkhouse

Mcfin

Mcfin they passed a law that nonresidents can spear in Minnesota check this out

Changes effective July 1:

Allows night bowfishing statewide from May 1 to the last Sunday in February, with limitations on noise and distance from structures.

A resident may take fish by angling in a State Park without an angling license under certain conditions, except in waters where a trout stamp is required.

Residents age 90 or older may take fish without a license.

Fishing contests:

Allows 25 boat minimum for needing a fishing contest permit (currently 30 participants).

Exempts rough fish contests and contests with total prize value of $500 or less from needing permits.

Deletes the fee waiver for charitable organizations.

Cuts the current maximum contest fees in half.

Requires the commissioner to develop best practices certification for fishing contests to assure proper handling and release of fish.

Requires the commissioner to develop an online web-based fishing contest permit application process.

The commissioner may allow for live release weigh-ins at public accesses.

Clarifies that a "shelter" in addition to fish and dark houses must be licensed.

Permits a nonresident to take fish by spearing; establishes nonresident spearing and darkhouse fees.

Extends the winter season for lake trout and stream trout in lakes located entirely within the BWCA to January 1 to March 31.

Allows a resident under age 16 to net ciscoes or whitefish for personal consumption without a license.

A very courteous conservation officer stopped by my shante last winter, and gave us a slap on the hand because my brother was fishing with a jiggle stick and I was also fishing with a jiggle stick and had the spear in the house. If you have a spear in a house you are only supposed to have 1 other hook in the water at maximum, even if there are 5 people in the house.

I asked our local C.O. the same question about two people spearing in the same house each using a jigstick. The example that i gave him was using a house with two spearholes in it so I don't know if that makes any difference, but he said that we would be ok. Maybe that is up to their discretion as well.

Typical lawmakers they don't have a clue how it works but they

sure can confuse the guy who does. My interpatation is two lines if angling the spear is your other line if spearing. Thus

two fishing devices per person. I cant say if the house should be treated as a fisherman? Sounds like the CO may have his own interpetation do you see what I mean?

In all questionable laws I e-mail St Paul and get timely answers.

I print those answers and they go in the tackle box with me.

If a CO has a different interpretation I can pull the e-mail out and say this is how St Paul interprets it.

I believe an e-mail from St Paul would hold water in a court of law.

I beleive a nonresident can spear if their state allows us to spear in their state (resiprosity). I dont think that is the case in WI. However he can angle here all he wants if he has an angling lisence.

Minnesota has no reciprocity laws like this as it pertains to darkhouse spearing.

North Dakota does.

Darkhouse spearing is legal in WI. Pike on Lake Superior and Sturgeon on Lake Winnebago. Non-Residents are allowed to darkhouse spear in WI.

Typical lawmakers they don't have a clue how it works but they

sure can confuse the guy who does. My interpatation is two lines if angling the spear is your other line if spearing. Thus

two fishing devices per person. I cant say if the house should be treated as a fisherman? Sounds like the CO may have his own interpetation do you see what I mean?

From what the guy told me a spear in a fish house acts as 1 line, the regulations say only 1 other hooked line can be used if spearing. Solo or with 2, only 1 other line can be used if there is a spear in the house. The CO was quite persistent in this, even after I asked if it was only for the spearer

Quote:

----- Forwarded Message ----

To: Pat Watts <>

Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 12:55:28 PM

Subject: Darkhouse spearing/angling clarification

According to the MnDNR regulation book

• A person may take fish by angling in a dark house if only one angling line

is in use and any fish caught is immediately released or placed on the ice.

For more information see the DNR Web site.

The verbiage "if only one angling line is in use" is somewhat confusing to some.

Is this

A) One angling line per licenced spearer that is darkhouse spearing and two angling lines for other licenced anglers in the house that are not darkhouse spearing (assuming there are not extra unused darkhouse spears in the house)?

OR

B) One angling line per darkhouse no mater how many licenced anglers are in the house?

So a few real world examples follow.

1 Darkhouse

1 Spear hole

2 Darkhouse Spearers with spears

How many angling lines can be used

1) For each person in the house?

2) For the entire house?

Next real world example

1 Darkhouse

1 Spear hole

3 Darkhouse Spearers with spears

2) For the entire house?

Next real world example

1 Darkhouse

2 Spear holes

2 Darkhouse Spearers with spears

2) For the entire house?

Next real world example

1 Darkhouse

2 Spear holes

1 Darkhouse spear in the house

2) For the entire house?

Thanks for the clarification

-merkman

Quote:
----- Forwarded Message ----

To: merkman <>

Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 3:28:52 PM

Subject: RE: Darkhouse spearing/angling clarification

You are correct, that bulleted item applies to spearing only. We are making that clearer in the 2010 fishing regs booklet that is on its way to the printer.

I did some checking with our Field Operation officer on your other questions. Short answer - each person can have one angling line, it can be either in the house or a tip-up outside the house.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Pat Watts, DNR Enforcement Division, St Paul MN

I called DNR this morning. I was told that I can have as many people in the house with me as I want while I am spearing. I can use a spear and another line. The other licensed anglers can each use two lines.

Can nonresidents spear in Minnesota now? I bet this was a compromise we had to make in order for the Vikings to sign Favre.

McFin,

Make sure any cheesheads you have in your spearhouse are wearing purple on Sunday!

I started a thread a year ago with the same question. Seems it is still clear as mud. IMO the confusion comes from the "no party" spearing rule. Please someone besides me get a ticket and take it to court so we can clear this up. whistlecrazysick