• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

World Jrs

Bear55

Any World Junior fans out there? US team looking decent right now up 5-3 on Slovakia after two. They are cerntainly under dogs in the tourney compared to Canada and Sweeden but with Dean Blais behind the bench you at least know they won't have a let down like years past.

For those who don't know about the World Jrs, its one of the greatest little hockey tournaments you have never heard of. The top under 20 players from around the world get together around x-mas every year and play their hearts out. Many future NHL All Stars and top draft picks participate each year. These kids are fast and have tons of skill. The US team is made up some of the top young college players, US kids playing Canadian Jrs, and a few youngsters who play for the National Development Program.

US beats Slovakia 7-3, plays Switzerland today at 3:00. You can watch the games on the NHL Network. You might be able to find the game on the internet too, do a search for "justin tv" and then hunt down the game in the sports section.

Edit: I haven't been able to find the game online yet but if I do I will post more instructions on where to find it.

Pretty good showing by the US so far, no major let downs other than the first part of the Slovakia game. Canada will be the real test on new years eve.

Just to show you how scary good Canada is, they currently have 7-8 players in the NHL that would be eligible to play in this tournament and they are still the favorites.

US currently taking care of business against Latvia, up 8-1 early in the 3rd period.

Here are some MN boys playing for team USA.

30 Mike Lee - Roseau, Minn. - St. Cloud State

28 Jake Gardiner - Minnetonka, Minn. - Wisconsin

8 Danny Kristo - Eden Prairie, Minn. - North Dakota

19 Jordan Schroeder - Prior Lake, Minn. - Minnesota

21 Derek Stepan - Hastings, Minn. - Wisconsin

Fun Facts:

You also might recognize the name Philip McRae, son of former North Star Basil McRae

Jordan Schroeder

If he scores 7 points this tournament he will be the all time US scorer in this tournament. Either way he will be in good company at the top of the list, a few names you might recognize: Roenick, Modano, Rolston, Parise.

US Medals (very few)

Gold 2004

Silver 1997

Bronze 2007, 1992, 1986

I think the US and Canada play each other on thursday. I have to find a TV somewhere that has that game. Have anybody watch any of other teams play, which ones look good? I heard team Sweden looks pretty solid.

Yep new years eve at 7:00! If you don't have NHL Network there are usuall feeds online but you have to hunt for them. The US doesn't have the talent they have had the past couple years but maybe that is what they need to finally beat Canada. If you are putting money on the game, never bet agaist Canada.

Overall Canada and Sweeden are the teams to beat with the edge going to Canada. After that there is a fairly wide gap and you have the US and Russia in the medal hunt. The Fins and Czechs are also in the mix but maybe just a step behind the US and Canada.

In the past the US has given Canada all they can handle but usually end up losing a very close game so Thursday should be a very entertaining game.

Jordon Schroeder had a nice goal. Are we the only guys hockey watching immortality. I guess people got better things to do on New Years than watching hockey on the computer.LOL. Oh my man Kisto scores 4-2 US!

As usual Canada comes roaring back to tie it. Still tied after the 5 minute OT, international rules and now we have a shoot out. It kind of sucks to end this game in a shootout but it is what it is. Go USA!

Son of B!(*$#!!!! Canada wins in a shootout. Its just the preliminary round so its not over for the US but the road just got a lot tougher. They have to beat Finland, then Sweeden who is very good, then possibly Canada again to get Gold.

Either way it was great game by the US, sucks to lose this way but I remember many years ago a couple of 19 year olds named Peter Forsberg and Paul Kariya were in a shootout to decide the Gold Medal Game, if remember correctly Sweeden won. I'm pretty sure Johnathan Towes is a legend in Canada because he scored 3 goals in a shootout against the US a few years back.

Overall its really been a great decade for US hockey, we have been dominated for many years but lately the US has many top draft picks and is really competing internationally on many levels. Make no mistake Canada ownes this game but we are giving them all they can handle.

cbrooks its been nice to hear from you, this really is one of the great unknown tournaments out there. People really don't know what they are missing.

Likewise Bear55, I thought Forsberg was from Norway? I've been a fan of the jrs since they were in Grand Forks back in 2004-05, best hockey expirence I ever had. Glad to hear from someone that takes interest in one of hockeys best keep secret. Happy New Year.

I watched the reair of the game yesterday. Sure was an exciting game. I haven't watched a game with that pace or intensity in a long time. It basically ended how you would expect a game like that to end. Both teams had a nice scoring chance to close out the OT and it came down to one shot in the shootout. VERY FUN TO WATCH! - they were also airing the old NBA dunk contests on the NBA channel so I had to flip back and forth a little!

I missed the game but it sounds like the US thumped a good Finland team, should be another great game tonight. The Swiss win was certainly an upset but Russia is having a down year and the Swiss seem to be getting better all the time.

Hey cbrooks here is a good readup on that game I was talking about, Forsberg is a Sweed but it looks like I mixed up the winner, Canada beat Sweeden in a shootout, not the other way around.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?fid=990

Thanks again for the link Bear. I stand corrected you were right about forsberg being a swede for some reason I thought he was a Norweigen.

I think US has a good at this I will try to catch the game on that link you gave me for the Canadain game. I think the game starts at 8PM.

Great win for the US, after seeing this game we seem to match up better against Canada. Like I mentioned before previous US teams have been much more talented but this team seems to have those intangibles that get it done. They also have solid goaltending and coaching which in the past has been a little suspect.