• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tires for the Snow

1900_LE

What do you guys think are the best tires for using on the ice? With the snow that's predicted for Mn I had to cancel my ice fishing trip. I need to make my Teryx unstoppable in deep snow. By the way, tracks are out of the question. Give me your ideas, thoughts. Thanks

A couple tires I would consider are the Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Terracross, and ITP Mudlites. On ice alone, tires by themselves won't give you much benefit.

Some of these tires will have a couple different variants that have a slightly different tread design or tread depth. Tires can help in the deeper snow, and since tracks are out of the question, a good set of V-Bar chains are an absolute must.

Another user in different thread found a good deal on a set of Tusk tire chains (V-Bar). Search around and do some comparison shopping for the best deal. Most places will match or beat a competitors price.

LEP, I've been looking at and considering the Bighorns. The tallest tire they make is 27". If I go with those and a lift kit, in your opinion will I be able to clear, say, 1-2 ft of snow? Isn't my big problem going to be getting high-centered?

Definately go with the big horns. From what I have seen on UTV's, ITP doesnt make strong enough side walls to support the weight. Everyone I know that has a UTV that has used ITP tires has switched to big horns due to lack of strength. I run big horns on my brute and love the way they ride in the snow, They dont dig down as much as others, they sort of float. Another thing is to run 2-3 psi in them when snow riding,

Big horns run tall as well. Those 27" tires will probably end up running 28"

I agree with this.

As for ITP tires not holding up to the weight of a UTV, part of that may be because some ITP tires, such as the Terracross are a radial tires. The benefit of a radial is they have a better/flatter contact patch than a bias tire. Bias tires will have a rounded profile. If you're not going to be doing any high speed cornering, there's nothing wrong with ITP tires. I will say they won't last as long as the Bighorns.

A foot of snow will be work for any machine Class I or Class 2. 2 feet of snow and you maybe should consider a good used snowmobile for the money you'd spend on tires and chains for the UTV.

Again, I cannot emphasize chains enough while traveling on ice and snow deeper than 6".

I have a set of 28" Maxxis Mud Bugs on my Vinson 500. They did good in the snow last year but I am looking for some chains. The only thing I can find for ATV's is up to 27". Will these 27" chains work on my 28's or should I be looking for something else.

I have a set of Mudlites and they tear the heckout of the snow, on ice they are terrible.

I do not chain them and have not got stuck YET. I have only been out in snow about 10-12" deep, did not hit no real deep stuff.

Only problem is they do dig great, thinking it could be a issue if I got too deep of snow, it may dig me down so deep I will have an issue with hang up instead.