• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

broken tilt/trim lever on 1979 35hp johnson

jwmiller33

hi guys. not only is my trolling motor busted (see other thread i just created), but lately my tilt/trim lever has been acting up and my motor is getting locked in the "down" position. this isn't a huge deal for normal boat operation, but whenever i need to beach my boat (to load and unload from trailer), it sucks because my motor won't come up.

my motor is a 1979 35hp johnson, long shaft tiller. there is a lever to flip for tilt/trim, and when you want to pull the motor up, you just flip the lever and the motor is free to move up. lately, whats been happening is there is a spring that attached onto a skinny bolt that is about 4-5 inches long and has a sheer pin that keeps it on. i dont know if the tension on the spring got loose or something, but the spring comes off of the bolt, and then the tilt/trim level doesnt work. so i went to the hardware store and bought a couple sheer pins, and i take the bolt off and then put the spring back on the bolt, and put on a new sheer pin. i need a pliers to do this, and it only takes a minute or two to do, but it is a real pain and ive been having to do it every time before i go out fishing because this spring keeps coming off every time i take the boat out. it is impossible to put the spring back on when i am in the water, so i am kind of S.O.L. when it breaks and i can't put the motor up, so i have to be extremely careful loading and beaching the boat. the last time i went fishing, i put the spring back on the bolt and by the time i got to the boat launch (5 min away) the spring was already off again.

does this spring need to be replaced with a new, tighter one? or is there a bigger problem here? it is a big pain to keep fixing it each time before i go out fishing, but lately like i said, it breaks before i even get off the water again so it is a recurring problem. sheer pins are cheap to keep buying but i really want to fix this problem. can anyone help me out? i can take pictures and add them to this thread if that will help. thanks!

jwmiller, Sounds like your spring has been stretched. Google, then give a call over to Tim's Outboard Motor Service in Hackensack. Describe the trouble to them. They should have used parts that'll get you going without always fixin' on it before. Phred52