• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog allergies?

ESmith

Saturday morning I woke up to let the dog out, and noticed one of his eyes was about half swollen shut, and he had some bumps on his snout and forehead, that were about the diamter of a pea each. The weren't swollen out very far but they were there. Took him to the vet, and the vet gave a shot of benadryl (sp?).

Is this a common thing for dogs? Maybe a spider bite or he got into something in the back yard?

How many of you deal with allergic reactions with your dogs? This is a 16wk old GSP. Hoping it won't slow him down on hunting ability some day. Doc said to keep benadryl handy is all.

He probably got into something that bit or stung him. Kody got stung by a bee once and where he was stung on his lower jaw swelled to the size of a golfball. I gave him a benadryl capsule and an hour later the swelling had been reduced significantly.

I think puppies are the most curious creatures out there. If they find something moving, they're going to go investigate. As the vet said, keep some benadryl (and baby aspirin) in your doggy first aid kid. I doubt this will have any effect on him long term.

Other than that, how's the little guy doing?

Well since you mention it, he's doing pretty well. He's about 16-17 weeks, and for some reason he thought it was a good idea to show off at last night's puppy class. He'd lay down for me, and I'd set a food bowl 15 feet in front of him, and he would stay for 30 seconds to a minute, then on the release he'd go right for it. People were impressed, as their puppies were no where close to that.

Potty training seems to be going well. Still having trouble getting him to walk at "heel", although he does respond to the command and will be at heel inconsistently. He will "come" consistent now, will sit/lay down (he's got those two confused right now) about 80% consistent on command.

So all in all I think he's got a brain once you get past the 150% energy capacity thing. I'm really excited to see him start bird training in a few months or so.

i should add that he isn't all sunshine and roses yet. last night for instance he was out and about in the house and had an accident on the floor. no warning to be let outside or anything.

that is frustrating now at 4 months of age. potty training is the one thing that has us stumped right now.