• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude 25 help

turtleboy

Any recommendations for help with my 81 Evinrude 25. Starts and runs great, but difficult to keep running at idle/ neutral lately. I also noted a bit of water coming out before the lube when I drained the gearcase recently. Are there any recommendations for a marine mechanic in the twin citys south area. I live in Prior Lake. Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Small world. I have the same motor, '81 25hp johnson. Also, I live in the Lakeville area.

I don't know any marine mechanics. So far the motor is running fine and plan to do my own work.

As far as the poor idle, it could be a carb issue. Maybe an adjustment or cleaning is necessary. Can't say for sure though. You should always check your spark and compression first.

Regarding the water in gearcase, I would change the vent/fill plug washers. Then run it a while and change your lube again. Sometimes that's the fix. Some folks don't use washers or never replace them, and they wear out. Oh, make sure you use 80-90w outboard gear oil.

Anyway, if you have some basic mechanical skills and tools, I think you can fix your motor. Have you had this motor long?

Hope this helps. -jasper

Jasper-Welcome to FM!

Good advice given by jasper. One thing to consider this time of year is the colder air and water. Some engines are more sensitive to the colder temps. Cooler water temps may not be allowing the engine to heat up all the way causing the plugs to foul easier, or, somewhat the opposite, the idle mixture may be a little too lean. Pull the plugs and have a look.

If you still plan on using it some more this year, do as jasper said and change out the oil and check it after each use.

Thanks for the response. I have had this motor for several years. You may be right about the cold temps as the last 2 times I have used it it has been in the upper 20's, water temps 48. The spark plugs looked just slightly wet. The gearcase washers were new last year and look fine. I changed the gear lube last fall just after running and it did look milky at that time. This year I let it sit for a day after running before changing the lube.I do not know how to adjust the idle mixture on this motor, the only adjustment screw I see is visible with the cover off: see photo.Thanks again for the advice neighbor, and you also boatfixer.I have the bench seat tops off this boat now for replacement and am not sure if I will be getting it out again this year. Bruce

084.jpg

yep, that's what boatfixer is referring to. low speed needle (aka idle mixer). Turning clockwise is more lean, counter clockwise is more rich. You should only adjust with the engine running and in small increments. 1/8 of a turn then wait a few seconds for the engine to respond.

Regarding the gearcase, it sounds like you need to have it leak tested to discover the source of the leak, but a lot of DIYers buy the gearcase seal kit and just change them all. Not a bad job. You'll need a seal puller, $11 at sears (burnsville) or any auto parts store. Also, a punch to change out the shift rod seal. Use 3M 847 adhesive available online. I could not find it on the store shelves and bought something else, and had poor results.

Also, you really need a manual to work on these motors. Check ebaymotors. I can email a copy of the lower unit section of the manual to you if you like. That way you can see whats involved. -jasper

Thanks again jasper. I had searched for a manual without success, but just ordered a cd manual covering years including 1981 from the source you recommended, hopefully that will help me with these issues. With that and the knowledge that help is so readily available here I will have the confidence to tackle the water leak issue. Thanks for the generous offer to email the info, and I will take you up on it if the manual does not have what I need. Now I'm wondering where would be a good place to buy the gearcase seal kit and water pump impeller. Again, Thank you, Bruce