• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little bit scary

Harmonica Bear

So my dog gets injured and I have no idea how. We grouse hunted a couple hours Saturday morning and he was fine after that. He was fine Sunday night. Monday morning he comes up lame. No abilty to put any weight on his front right leg. I’m thinking what the heck? Yesterday morning he’s still basically walking on three legs. So he's on the no play/major rest program and I'm thinking if he’s still bad after I get home from work, off to the vet we go. Last night same thing.

I wake up early today to bring him in first thing. Completely depressed, because I’ve got a sinking feeling my bird season is coming to a quick end, just like that Gus the Dog is on the DL for the season. So I get up and the dog hops out of the bed and runs to the door as though there’s nothing wrong.

Go figure…

Hopefully tonight when I get home, all is well. I will probaly rest him this weekend or longer, just to be safe. But here’s the thing. I couldn’t figure out what the heck was wrong. At first I thought it was his paws/pads, or a nail ripped back. The pads looked just fine and I was able to trim them all with no effect from the dog. I could bend and squeeze the joints without issue. The dog is very docile, so I figured he would yipe or flinch if something hurt. It was really strange. The only time there was anything noticeble was when I pinched his paw really tight or gave him a very strong squeeze under his shoulder that was basically hard enough I expected him to wince. He has ate and drank normally as well.

Anyway just thought I’d share. A trip to the vet will probably occur anyway. Hopefully the dog is ok and it was only some sprain or something and some hunting can continue. It cleared up almost the way the limp tail/broken tail syndrome cleared up a 1.5 years ago.

There are many things that could've happened.

How old is he?

Thorn in the foot that had to work it's way out,

jambed shoulder

sprained ankle knee

sore muscles

????

Keep an eye on him, at this point if he is acting normal and showing no signs, not sure the vet can find anything...

Good Luck!

Ken

Soooo.....

I'm glad I went in. The pooch tested positive for both Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. Although the vet thought the anaplasmosis was a false positive. Either way both are treated the same: 28 days of Doxycycline and all should be good. Early detection is a bonus. The dog will be on the DL for the weekend, but will be ready to go by the pheasant opener.

Thanks for the advice gang.

Soooo.....

I'm glad I went in. The pooch tested positive for both Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. Although the vet thought the anaplasmosis was a false positive. Either way both are treated the same: 28 days of Doxycycline and all should be good. Early detection is a bonus. The dog will be on the DL for the weekend, but will be ready to go by the pheasant opener.

Thanks for the advice gang.

That's good news caught early lymes dos'nt seem to affect the dog at all long term.