• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hub and Rim size ?

BorderView

What is the correct way to measure hub size and/or rim bolt pattern? I've seen 4-110 or 4-115. I assume the 4 is quantity and the 110 is a distance. Is the measurement between adjacent hubs or on the diagonal? Also, I know what the three numbers on tire/rim size are, but what is the typical order? Diameter, diameter, width or diameter, width, diameter?

Thanks

Here's a quote from dtro in another thread about hub size.

Did you pull the hub off? Are there any numbers on the hub?

Measuring Trailer Hub Bolt Patterns

Step 1

Count the number of lug bolts on one wheel. Trailer hubs typically have 4 or 5 bolts per wheel, but heavy-duty or homemade trailers may have 6 or even 8 bolts per wheel.

Step 2

If the trailer hubs have an even number of bolts holding the wheel, measure from the center of one bolt to the center of the bolt directly opposite using a tape measure or calipers. If the bearing cover in the center of the wheel is in the way, you can remove the wheel and measure the distance between the centers of the opposite mounting holes on the wheel itself. The hub bolt pattern will be determined by the number of bolts and the distance between the opposing hub bolt (or wheel hole) centers.

Step 3

If the hubs have 5 bolts, the process is slightly more complex. Choose any bolt to begin, and measure the distance to the center of a bolt on the opposite side, being sure to skip one bolt going in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Multiply your measurement by 1.0515, and the resulting number will give you the diameter of the bolt circle.

Sorry, I was not specific. This is on a Yamaha ATV, a 1987 Warrior. I bought used hubs said to fit a warrior. They fit the axle but do not fit the rims. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I do not blame the seller as I have come across a number of parts that fit every year warrior EXCEPT 1987, the first year of this model.

So, is this measuring technique the same for an ATV as it relates to matching hubs with rims?

The measuring practice should be the same.

It's been a common practice to swtich to a different bolt pattern on machines. They may fit the axles, but Honda in earlier years set a standard in racing and the aftermarket was huge. It was easier to find what you needed by putting Honda parts on a Yamaha.

From what I could tell, the OEM Spec bolt patterns for a Yamaha Warrior are:

Front: 4x156

Rear: 4x115

Hope this helps. You'll have to measure what you have to find out what they really are.