• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"STREAMSIDE MEMORIES"

"T" ..AS IN TROUT Fishin wink.gif

Just like to extend a Very memorable, yet awe inspiring trout-fishing story in my past your way.

Had some spare time(what is that, right?) to head down to my fav stream a couple yrs ago in June time-frame to flyfish the "Bide-a-We" hole area of Trout Run. Parked by the old cabins there near the 2nd bridge up from BuckSnort Dam and headed down-stream to wetfly fish the limestone ledge hole just below the bridge.
Stripped out about 20-30 ft of flyline which I had a GR-hares ear tied-on the end of it(my fav wetfly choice). Saw a couple of very promising raises a bit down farther so edged my way down to them. Stripped out enough line to allow my hare's ear to reach the "ring area" of a "nice looker" fish raisin steadily below me just 20 ft now. Started my retrieve of the fly..BOOOOM!! This trout SMACKED my custom tied hare's ear HARD! DANG, this is a BIG trout!! He jumped immediately clear of water, allowing me a surprising eyeball on him. Now he is heading downstream, rippin line from my Colorado reel now...she is screamin. I look at the reel and see my backing is soon to show itself now. I start downstream after this very above average sized Brownie for this stream.
I finally begin to retrieve some line back into my reel when I see the huge trout clear water again. This is definitely a huge Brown trout...23 inches looks possible.
All of a sudden the fish takes off again, downstream. I see there is a pile of brush in the water gettin closer all the time so I try turn the fish now a bit. He begins to slow a bit now also. It has been about a good 10 minutes now fightin this Brownie! WHOA...here he goes again, but there is a fairly good sized branch sticking out of the water, and directly in the center of the stream within feet of my fightin-for-freedom fish now I just notice.
This fish has been thru this challenge before!! He heads directly for this branch, jumps OVER it and heads back UP-stream right AT ME now!
Well, needless to say, "PING" went my 3# tippet! Off went this beautiful, huge (seemed enormous at the time) and super-strong Brown trout on his way again. Which he would have even if I had landed him. I C&R always!
I just reeled my line in, backed up to the bank and sat there in AWE of the uncanny intelligence this fish just protrayed to me.

And THAT is why I love flyfishing! You never know what these fish will do when "fish-on" time is happening!

Thanks for the memories!

Hey, Good Fishin to ALL trout-fishing enthusiasts! wink.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Good stuff LUND-MAN!

Who ever said fish are dumb, never hooked a big brown.

I had something simular happen last year. I hooked a 28 inch brown (on a fly rod) that went right for the weeds when hooked. Had I known the size of the fish I would of never of horsed it as much as I did. When I netted the fish it was covered in weeds. The only way I knew there was a fish in there was the big golden tail sticking out of the weeds. Luckly I had a 12lb tippet on that day and was lookin for big browns, other wise I would of never of seen that fish.
To this day that is my biggest brown C&R.

I'd like to say that its good to finally have a fly-fisherman on this site that is as open minded as you are and is willing to take a die hard spin or bait fishermen fly-fishing for a day.

If T.U. had more members like you it would be a better organization then it is now.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Hey Renneberg!

I want to extend my sincerest thanks your way for your kind words towards me.
I have read several of your "posts" in here and find you are a very respected fisherman..and rightfully so! I do NOT feel fishing technique has grounds for ridicule. The way I see it, "whatever sinks yer line" works for me!

As for the fly-fisher/bait-fisher invite to Ben, I haven't seen him in here since. I am thinking he has done a personal review of his "posts" and come to terms with his ridicule of fly-fishing maybe(?)
Anyway, if he sees this it still stands Ben. I am very open-minded as Renneberg states. I just love to have a good outdoor experience flyfishing and to have a trout "on line" is sweet..even if I don't land it.
The way I see it...I tied the fly..trout got "fooled" and took it...THAT is the reward! If I land it..it is released...if I don't land it..same story.

Good Fishin my friend Renneberg! smile.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

ya know guys i am with on that. which ever way you want to catch them is fine with me. however it sure seems to me that people who only fish for trout on the fly are the ones who are ridiculed all the time, what i mean is if you say you only enjoy the fight of a trout on a fly rod then you must be rich or pompus or you think the river is all yours or you must drive a beemer or something stupid like that. i fish for trout solely with the fly rod now because i enjoy it so much more and i feel more confident with a fly rod in my hands which is most of the battle right there. every body thinks the negative outlook is always pushed on to the spinfisherman and if you look at it the flyrod guys fight as much stereotyping as anyone. maybe we all just worry a little to much about the next guy than we need to..

by the way lundman that was a good story. sorry you didnt land him but i'm thinking you won't soon forget that day!!! the hares ear and pheasant tail are two of the most versatile nymphs i know. have you been back to check on that bruiser since?? good luck and good fishin.....

Some friends and I were heading to
Whitewater St Park so I went and picked up my first St.Croix and an Orvis to match. This was many years ago so at the time this was the large$t gear purchase I had made. Well, after 2 days of scaring trout up and down the stream, I finally got wise enough to move out on my own and headed 1/4mile upstream from the rest of the guys. Seems like no matter what I did, I couldn't get the fly cast thing down. Then towards the end of the day something clicked and my fly somewhat clumsily was landing where I wanted it to. Then, there was that first good cast. The fly landed gently in a pool just below an eddie. One little jerk, a flash of brown and orange underneath the fly, slurp and set. The fight was on! I landed that beautiful trout and went screaming down the trail hootin and hollerin' to my buddys. You should have seen the disgusting looks I got from all the Eddie Bauer wannabees along the trail as I ran by them giggling like a schoolgirl. Oh, look back and laugh!

LundMan

Thanks for the story. I grew up on our family's fishing resort in norther MN. Our lake is primarily walleye.

Now in my late 30's I have taken up fly-fishing. It is a completely different sport. Though I love hooking a pike, I have found that flying for trout has become my favorite passtime. I will always do both.

The first trout I ever hooked on a fly was on the Whitewater. The subtlety of presenting a fly just right and the right fly for the time was like a drug. That first one was only 10" but I thought it was state record.

You all inspire me and I can't wait to get back on the river.

Cherndog

yes lund-man i read your post. I recently read an article about Trout Run out of one of my Trout Unlimited books. It seems like a good river. But i dont know about having to put up with other anglers. I like having the river to myself or few others. I can fish two blocks away and not see anyone and catch browns all day or i can go to trout run. I think ill stay home. Maybe later on in the season when the ameteurs go home.