• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind Generators

Hoovey

Question

I have heard of people using small wind powered generators on their fish houses. I was looking for something that would allow me to leave my batteries in the shack without having to drag them home to recharge them every weekend. Has anyone used these and/or does anyone where I can find out more info on these? I have searched on the internet, but have only found info on the larger home/commercial generators.

10 answers to this question

I think with the money you'll spend on the wind generator you'd be better served getting a generator. Mine only take 30min-3 hours to charge up my deep cycles depending on how low they are. I am not a great fan of solar in the winter up here, it seems that the sun angle is just to low and the solar ends up acting more like a trickle charger but, I have no FIRST hand experiance with the solar systems on a shack!
my 2 c

Better yet I think you should put a stationary bike in the shack hooked up to the alternator...get to burn off all those beer calories and recharge the ol' battery bank at the same time!

The wind in essence would be your motor the chevy altenators have there diods built into them as opposed to a fords which are remote from the altenator. As I understand it I could be wrong. Now if you could find a generator out of an old car that would be the sure ticket I dont know when cars went from generators to altenators. Also I wonder if over chargeing would be a problem

Bigguns,
That is exactly how I use to charge my batteries in the past in my permanent. I built some 30' jumpers and use to use my vehicle to charge 'em up, yeah it is not real great for your deepcycles but, it got me by!

I may rig up an alternator to one of my tipups this year. With all the fish I imagine I will catch, I could sell power back to the power company! If only it were true!

------------------
Wables

I have been pondering my homemade generator idea since my last post. I have now figured a way to make everything work and put out 110 volts of raw.....ahhh arrhh arrrhh arrhhh power. All I have to buy is a small inverter. And figure a way to build a bracket to hold the alternator and motor together. The main thing to worry about is if the alternator has a voltage regulator on it. The way I figure it, It will cost a little more than the inverter. I'll have to get back to you guys on this one. I can't wait to start. I just need to find a way to keep the thing quiet.