• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a pup

CarlWBL

I would definitely want to do some training. I'm fairly new to this and on a budget, so the more help I can get the better. Plus, it would be fun to work with others who have dogs with similar bloodlines. We will have to exchange info at some point.

For a new pointing dog owner...I would throw my hat in for a female. They mature faster and are often more easy to train. I would agree with Uplander that males have more strength and stamina, but I don't feel it is enough to make up for the difference in temperament. I have had both male and female setters, and the females have been far and away more gentle and loving than the males. I know there are a lot of great male family dogs out there. I just have had better luck with females.

Someone always has to try spark the pointer vs. flusher argument..I own springers and setters they both have a place but one is not tougher than the next. Anyway the guy has made up his mind he's getting a pointer he could care less if it's a sissy or not. Besides most of us pointer guys are too refined to get drawn into such a debate......lol

Good heavens - didn't you see the SMILEY? It's in good nature. Besides, I've only had a springer for just over a year - I'm just a rookie.

You guys are too serious. I'd love to have a pointer some day as well.

Yeah, I know - the flusher guys are knuckle-draggers... heheh

I knew you were joking, but once again sarcasm is tough to detect in print that's why I put the ..lol.. in my post. It's all good Mn Mongo I'm one of the least serious guys in town.....I do love a fine dog though..pointer or flusher

For each of my dogs that I have had it seems like the pup has picked me. I have had two females and now a male. I must admit that the females seemed a little calmer. My male Britt will go all day if you let him. Had to slow him down and make him take breaks in this heat.

Quote:
I have never seen a female of any breed that hunts near as good as a male of the same breed.

I don't know what bloodlines or breeds you've seen or how much but in my experience this just flat out wrong. There are female national field champions in every breed that will discredit this.

Quote:
I just think if you want a good hunting dog a male is the way to go if you are only going to have one dog.

Again this has not been the case for me. I've been around dozens of bird dogs in my life and quality has nothing to do with gender.

Quote:
Female dogs just dont have the drive that a male does in the feild.

Females have every bit the drive that males do. Drive has nothing to do with gender.

The only thing I'll concede is strength and power. A male will have more strength and power. However if you get a female from a quality breeding and keep it in shape this should never be an issue. I've never had my dogs quit before I have.

BJB hit it on the head. It's a matter of genetics and personal preference.

With all due respect gspman, because I think you are a man who knows his stuff. I have a hard time believing you've never outlasted your dog in the field..Given the chance most dogs will probably stay out all day, but truth is they, most of time, should have been picked up hours earlier. Weather dependant most of my dogs have been what I call 4 hour dogs..Meaning they are realy only hunting to the optimum potetial for 4 hours. After that they still hunt they just don't have what I like to see out there..Some might bump birds that they for sure would have pointed hours earlier the pace is obviously slower. They might avoid cover they would normaly go through.. You get my point... I think guys expect too much from thier dogs sometimes! Think about it, they cover 4 times the ground you do at a minnimum they are covered in hair and can only sweat out thier mouths.. I'ts amazing they can do it for 5 min.

I'm not trying to say you are a guy who would over exert his dog, but there are plenty that do. I like to think my dogs are in good shape but I try to rotate them every few hours..Even if they don't act like they need it..If I go out to the Dakotas and I hunt eight strait hrs there is no way I would run any of my dogs that long.......anyway now I'm rambling ...what was my point...oh yeah. I'm sure durring your hunting career you've worn out a dog or 2 before the end of the day..That's it have a great weekend get out ther and do something about that bird poppulation would you! uplander