• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing an outboard

Question

I am purchasing a Lund 1800 Fisherman (Max. HP 175). I would like to get the most horsepower/performance, but still be able to troll without a kicker. I would like to get a motor that trolls down to approx. 2-3 mph give or take. Any suggestion?? Thanks

2 answers to this question

Most larger 2 stroke engines are not to good for slow trolling. 4 strokes would be much better. However the newer merc's are set up for a thing called smartcraft gauges, what these allow you to do is set them for either rpm or speed. You can set them for 2.1 mph and they will adjust the throttle to maintain that speed. Or you can set a certain rpm and the eng will maintain that rpm regardless of speed. I think the smartcraft gauges are about $800.00 pricey but still cheaper than a seperate kicker.

I have the same boat you are buying for sale right now. You may want to check mine out before you buy a new one.

As for a motor, I have a 150 HP Yamaha Vmax on mine and it is an excellent motor. I don't have a kicker because it trolls down to 2.1 MPH - 400 RPM. Email me before you buy your new boat, I have some suggestions for you. Scott Steil

[email protected]