• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for river crappies

Big Jeff

I am having a hard time chasing down the crappies in the river latly I went with slip bobbers and some flu flus but nothing, then I tried some spinners and nothing again. I was fishing docks over deep water and some fallen trees. I tryed some other areas with the same poor results. What type of structure do I look for when there isn't much back water and what presentations work well for hunting them down. The only finder I have is a vex so I thought I would be able to see them easy but nothing even looked good. Let me know what you think heading out Sat evening and most of sunday.

Good luck on the water!!!

Right now I would look for structure closest to the river channel. Any trees located just off the main channel, or points, saddles, etc. Fish will use the main channel and slide up to feed. Should hold consistent for most of the summer.

I would also look for deep fallen trees off the shorelines. Wood in about 15 or so feet of water typically holds crappies.

I would target those fish with slightly larger baits. 2-inch minnow imitations, tubes, 2-inch twister tails... larger profile is the way to go in the river...