Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Bobber

Advice about 60 Horse Mercury

4 posts in this topic

I am considering upgrading my 1995 Evinrude 48 special for a new 60 horse Merc 2 stroke. Any comments on how the 60 will run or troll down? I will be putting the motor on a 1600 Angler Deluxe SS. Any comments positive or negative will be appreciated. Top end with the 48 is about 30-32 MPH. The boat is rated for a 75, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to troll very well with a 75. I usually pull Lindy Rigs or long line troll with leadheads. Crankers shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your comments.

recently purchased a new explorer 1675 with a 60 hp bigfoot 2 cycle since breaking in i have been very impressed with the way it idles down (after warming up of course) i think you probably would be pleased with the sixty if you went to a 75 you would also end up with a larger displacement engine which would bump up your weight considerably

Any reason you have not looked at a 4 stroke motor? You won't have to worry about idling down with a 4 stroke...Plus they are quiet, don't smoke, and get great fuel mileage. I have a 40hp 4 stroke Merc and would recomend anyone who would be buying a new motor to look at a 4 stroke of any brand. Good luck!

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

Big Bobber, does your 45 special run? I might be interested in it if youre thinking about selling it. Is it a Tiller? I got a lunker v16 rated for a 45hp, I got a 25hp on it. I'm looking to get some more speed from it.
my email is jhardman5560@attbi.com