Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobcatbeej

Boat paint

2 posts in this topic

I have a small fiberglass duck boat that I am refinishing. After I'm done sanding and patching and sanding some more I need to paint the outside. What should I use? I'm looking for a flat tan that I can camo spray over, then a solid top coat that resists beating and scratching. Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks, Blake

Generally speaking, high gloss = more durability on fiberglass boat paint. This is not a good combination for a duck boat. Marine varnish is fairly tough (and expensive), but takes forever to dry. A satin would probably be recommended since this is a duck boat, if you really want to go over the camo with a clear. I would be very careful applying over multiple brown/camo paints, however. Adhesion is probably an issue. If it were me (and I have professional experience in the boat industry and the paint industry, whatever that is worth) I would prep your entire surface very well (clean and 250 sanded) and put on the best satin/flat finish paint they have in a light brown color. Maybe ask a local autobody shop to make a paint recommendation, or better yet, have them paint it for you. Use spray paint to make the camo over the top if necessary. Just my two cents.