• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which rod?

fishtrap2

Question

7 answers to this question

fishtrap A line counter reel is probily most usefull when useing planer boards or trolling with crankbaits. In this case you may want a longer rod like a 7` or 8` medium to heavey action rod, but there are a lot of different combinations you can go with depends on the type of fishing you want to do with it, as for useing bottem bouncers a medium to heavey rod that is 7 foot long is what i like to use also. ricbak

I use Daiwa line counter reels exclusively for trolling with Dipsy-Divers. For this application I use 7 ft MH Shakespeare Ugly Stiks. In fact, for heavy use and possible abuse, I'll give Ugly Stiks an "A" any day.

For planing boards I've never thought it necessary to use line counter reels, as it is easy enough to measure off trailing line by hand, or by counting "passes" on a level wind.

Hi Fishtrap,

You may have already picked out/up your rod of choice, but here is my two cents. I was looking for a rod myself to do the very same thing you want to accomplish, Bottom Bouncing. I don't know how much you intend to spend, but I looked at virtually all the major rod manufacturers for a rod that would be used for Bottom bouncing crankbaits/minnowbaits. I usually run a 2 to 3 oz BB and a minnowbait. St.Croix has a rod that I think I am going to love. They have an AVID series model AC80MF. THis rod is specified for salmon and steelhead fishing. It is an 8' medium action, with a fast tip. The rod is rated for 3/8 to 3oz weighted lures. The rod had a fairly soft tip, but stout shaft/butt. The St. Croix rep turned me onto this model. He is using it for BB cranks and spinners, and he really likes it.

Fathead