• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

custom ice rods

cmpeterson1

Question

i have seen alot of guys asking about ice rods!my 2cents.I own 5 thorne bros.rods.For walleyes, Ive got 3 Professionals (38"40"&42")and just love them.Because the way I fish (hit&run)Im always on the move.I drill 10-20 holes on a break line or point,12'-60'of water.So alonger rod is great.And talk about feel & sensitivity, outstanding.Sure Ive paid $45-$55 each,but then how much are guys paying for their summer rods $30-$200.Lets put it this way,my rods are 8&9yrs old.I know some fishermen buy 1 -2 rods each winter @ $15-$25 each. (Berkley,frabil,????)I would say mine paid for them self the 1-2yr.Sure you dont throw them in the back of the truck,throw gear on top of them.No you put them in a Berkley case.Dont get me wrong,I do own Berkley rods.But there is a big differance between a factory & a custom rod.This winter on lake alex,my 11yr old was sitting next to me using a Pro.He dropped down a rap,jigged it a dozen times & the tip broke.I was just sick,and he felt even worse.Called thorne bro.on Monday looking for lures and told them about my rod,said bring it in.I thought to myself,asked why? it broke 6" from tip.He said they would give me 50% off a new one.So Im now looking at a $65 Pro-glass for $30.I hate to say it,but you cant get that from Berkley.

1 answer to this question

While Thorne Bros. makes a decent rod, I don't think you can say it is a "custom" rod. Sure, they cost more $$ compared to a Berkley or Frable, but custom they are not. I think Thorne Bros. has identified a "niche" in the market; those willing to pay $60 for a rod. Sure, most guys will spend $15 to $30 for a good rod, some will spend $60 for a specific stick, ie. length, action, etc. Still fewer will pay top dollar for the "perfect rod" for that person's particular needs/wants. Talk to a custom rod builder and they will put anything on the rod you want. You want Fuji guides in size 6-8-12-20? It's done. You want pink and green guide wraps? I don't know why you would, but its done. That is what a true custom rod is all about. My .02.