• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reels with line counters (daiwa V. okuma)

fishing addict

Question

5 answers to this question

I have an older ambassader 5500 c reel that works great for long line trolling. I even use it at night!
All you have to do is count how many times the line feeder bar goes across the reel.
Each time across it will always be a givin number of yards or feet , you just have to let out the first amount of line and measure how much line it took per feeder bar travel.
Different line will slightly vary but all in all this is a very accurate method.
After you get used to it you can feel the count with your thumb, making it even easier than staring at a digital line counter when you should be watching your depth finder or better yet watching where your going!!
<>>>>< fish on!!!

I can only speak for the Diawa Line Counters. I have 6 of the sealine 17's. I had a problem with one of them, but that was right out of the box. In my opinion they are worth the extra money if you are going to be using them. They have a good drag system and are built well.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

fishrmn,

What measurements do you make with that. I do the same thing with a 5500CB and ABs and I was just wondering what your measurments are. I will stand behind the ambassadeurs as well. Indestructable reel if you dont want a big line counter. Can use these for other purposes if you really wanna be efficient with your cash. If anything you can buy a shakespere clip on line counter which is very accurate.

I have used both Okuma and the Daiwa line counter reels, And you definately get what you pay for when it comes to these two brands of reels.
I use the Daiwas for long lineing and leadcore, for lead you dont really need the linecounter because of the colors of the line but I think they are the perfict reel for both types of fishing.
The Okuma's just feel like a cheaper reel then the Daiwa's, The ones I had just felt like a "loose reel".

If I was you I would definatly spend the extra money for the Daiwa's!
http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

The new line counter system from ABU is nice.
Ambassadeur%20C3%20Line%20Counter%20Seri

I picked up the new LC1000AK kit to convert right handed C-4's and C-5's to a line counter reel, they run $45.
AdvanPhoto.gif

The conversion takes less than 5 minutes to do. The line counter comes complete and ready to use for Abu Garcia C3 and C4 reel series. Simply remove the end plate slip the line counter into place. Using the longer end cap screws that are packaged with the line counter, reinstall the end cap, your ready to rock. Pretty easy, and if you wish to remove it, just takes a few minutes to do so.

The counter calibrates in fully automatic mode or line-specific programming operating options. The battery-operated line counter works up to a year on an over-the-counter watch battery, available everywhere. The unit has a battery-saving automatic shut-off feature, that is handy. It is also LED back-lit for night use, very handy!

A darn nifty system. Could use a left hand version, maybe they will be one in 2004? Working on that now.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

backwater_eddy.jpg

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[email protected]

><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-17-2003).]