• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New flasher/ ice graph considerations

lungdeflator

Possibly in the market for a new flasher or ice graph before next winter.  I have a Humminbird now, but would like to use it as an extra for when the wife comes or a buddy comes without electronics.  I found the Birds don't work too nice when they are used close together, so I would like a different brand.  

Top choices right now are Marcum LX-7, Vexilar FL 18 or 20?, or a Lowrance graph (Elite 5 or Hook 5?).  I am really entrigued by the idea of using a summer graph in the winter.  The ability to use it all seaons would be a definite plus.  I also really like the scrolling screen, where you can watch and have a brief history of how a fish interacts with the presentation.  Plus from what I understand, there are a multitude of screens, including the tradition round "flasher" screen.  

Any pros or cons to the units listed?  Anything else to be considering?  How is the battery life on the LX-7 and the Lowrance graphs?

About a year ago we got a Elite 5 Ice Machine & adapted it for the bow of our boat. On works great in the boat but doesn't play real well with my Marcum VX1 on the ice. After a long,6 -8 hrs, day on the ice we have had to take the battery out of my camera & put it in the Elite 5 for last couple of hrs. For the money it's a solid unit, IMO

My thoughts on batteries for what its worth... Flashers are expensive and come with options up to and including making you breakfast in the morning now... Batteries are cheap in comparison.  I would go with the flasher with the options I wanted and if battery life suffers just pick up a spare or two.  Charge them in the house or truck if needed when not in use or just bring enough to get you through the day and recharge at night.

here's what I found. I want a graph for open water and a flasher for ice fishing.  I have a vex and and Elite 5 though.  My buddies who don't have a flasher for ice fishing love the graph and use it on flasher mode in Winter.  They think it's the cats rear end compared to having nothing and in the Summer I use it on our spare boat sometimes and love having it and the gps stuff.  Win for me win for them. 

16 hours ago, lungdeflator said:

Possibly in the market for a new flasher or ice graph before next winter.  I have a Humminbird now, but would like to use it as an extra for when the wife comes or a buddy comes without electronics.  I found the Birds don't work too nice when they are used close together, so I would like a different brand.  

Top choices right now are Marcum LX-7, Vexilar FL 18 or 20?, or a Lowrance graph (Elite 5 or Hook 5?).  I am really entrigued by the idea of using a summer graph in the winter.  The ability to use it all seaons would be a definite plus.  I also really like the scrolling screen, where you can watch and have a brief history of how a fish interacts with the presentation.  Plus from what I understand, there are a multitude of screens, including the tradition round "flasher" screen.  

Any pros or cons to the units listed?  Anything else to be considering?  How is the battery life on the LX-7 and the Lowrance graphs?

I have an LX7 and love it. I fish all day with it. I have always just plugged my flashers in when done. It was a habit. I have never had a battery issue. My other units in the past vexilar & Marcum batteries have lasted longer doing this. I love the graph mode at is awesome. I do turn the brightness down when fishing in a house because the brightness is too bright, but you can still view it out of the house perfectly in the sunlight. I love the fact that it is totally customized to the way you fish. Once you have it the way you want it you save it. Great unit!

Edited by walleye44

Just like walleye said. I have a LX6, just a smaller screen than the 7 and love it. Once it is set just save and then it is all set everytime you use it. The down side that I have seen with the summer graphs is that they will not get along with the other flashers on the ice. they are the ones that lose out. My battery will last all day no problem.