• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Setter allergies

knowsnothing

Have two Setters from the same litter. Have had allergies forever, specifically scratching nose and feet. I read this is a common issue with the breed, but no one ever says what to do stop the itching. Vet says Benadryl until real bad, then vet visit for cone and steroids. Although I've tried different foods, it sounds like real susceptible to dust mites. Getting a good venison based food for sensitive skin so shedding is minimal, just curious if any of you other Setter guys have seen this or had success with something other than Benadryl?

I should have said they are 5 now and fighting this for 3 years, so not anew issue. Just sick of pumping them with Benadryl. Cone every August.

On 2/6/2016 at 4:12 PM, knowsnothing said:

Have two Setters from the same litter. Have had allergies forever, specifically scratching nose and feet. I read this is a common issue with the breed, but no one ever says what to do stop the itching. Vet says Benadryl until real bad, then vet visit for cone and steroids. Although I've tried different foods, it sounds like real susceptible to dust mites. Getting a good venison based food for sensitive skin so shedding is minimal, just curious if any of you other Setter guys have seen this or had success with something other than Benadryl?

I should have said they are 5 now and fighting this for 3 years, so not anew issue. Just sick of pumping them with Benadryl. Cone every August.

Knows,

I  have one 6 year old and he gets the red rash around his eyes which seems to be getting better, I'm not sure if its the same type that your setters have but I started giving him coconut oil last week which after researching it there seems to be many benefits including rashes and allergies. Your setters wouldn't happen to be from Setter Hills near Willmar are they?

Yes they are.

Mostly pink around mouth and paws when at its high point in August, By August they start opening wounds and need heavy drugs and cone. They are on Benadryl all the time. I was researching Dynovite but had read reports that with allergies did nothing. Talked to two vets that just say Benadryl.

The girls. The lower left is the dam Tori and lower right is the sire McGrady. As you can see one looks like mom and one like dad.

1365348059236.jpg

37 minutes ago, knowsnothing said:

Yes they are.

Mostly pink around mouth and paws when at its high point in August, By August they start opening wounds and need heavy drugs and cone. They are on Benadryl all the time. I was researching Dynovite but had read reports that with allergies did nothing. Talked to two vets that just say Benadryl.

The girls. The lower left is the dam Tori and lower right is the sire McGrady. As you can see one looks like mom and one like dad.

1365348059236.jpg

Nice looking dogs! I hope there are more responses, I'm curious to know if it's the breed or something specific to the breeder. There is another guy in our area that has 2 dogs from there, I think I'll try to look him up to see if he has problems too. The vet I talked with 6 weeks ago hadn't seen it before and they see lots of setters. I had to use heavy drugs too but only once, up until I started with the coconut oil I had to use benadryl too but I really don't like to.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:24 PM, knowsnothing said:

Thanks for the reply. When I was looking online there were a lot of sites stating setters are real susceptible to allergies. I read the coconut article and will give that a try.

Knowsnothing, any improvements or updates? I went back to lamb and rice and things are slowly getting better. I am still using coconut oil as well. I contacted Setter Hills and she suggested the lamb, I had been feeding that earlier and switched to chicken. I  hope I solved it without meds.