• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-18 question

Norco

Question

I am looking at buying the fl-18 and want to know what is the difference and if it is worth buying the 9/19 degree ice-Ducer transducer or the unit with the 12 degree ice-ducer transducer??

10 answers to this question

If you fish in close proximity to another angler, and/or in deep water, yes. Other wise the 12 degree transducer is a very good option.

I like the 19 for searching flats, or the 12 for rivers.

Yet there are times when very sharp breaks would make the 9/19 degree transducer a better user option, to eliminate dead spots in the cone.

Narco...for me..yup..that be deep.

In Shallow water (10' or less) I can see sneaky lookers better with the 19 then the 12. I do like the 12 as a better option for more conditions, that is why Vexilar developed it.

The duel beam 9/19 degree ice-Ducer transducer is very handy, no argument from me. You can work near drop off dead zones, or wood with less peripheral complications.

BW Eddy makes a good point. You can get a 19 degree ducer for the Fl-18 and cover more area. I personally like the 12 degree, even in the shallower water. It makes it easier to fish close to someone without seeing their bait, and when I do mark a fish I know it is close. My home water is stained dark and lookers outside the cone of the 12 probably can't even see my bait anyway.

The dual beam is handy, but for the fishing I do, the 12 has worked great.

The thing about Vexilar is that they have 3 cone angles available and you can choose whatever one fits your situatuion best.

ScottO

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 02-10-2003).]

I would go with the dual beam transducer... But I am not sure where you fish most of the time but in under 20-25 Feet water the 19 Degree Cone Option is well worth it...

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angler;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

With two guys fishing in a portable both using Vexilars, you'll wish you had the 9/19 option. You don't want to watch your neighbor's rig. Also, when fishing Lake Trout with water depths over 60 - 80 feet, the 9 degree is perfect.

I tend to like the 20 degree transducer I have for my Marcum. I fished in 7 feet of water last weekend for bluegills, and marked more fish than my buddy running an FL-18 right next to me. The water is pretty stained, and I was still able to "call" those fish in that were further away. I think bringing fish in to a hole to investigate is often overlooked. Obviously for deeper water, I would like to be able to switch to a smaller cone, but I do see value in shallower water for the 19 or 20 degree transducer. My .02.