• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strikemaster magneto issues

mjollnir

I have an 8 year old Lazer Mag express. A few weeks ago we were up on Winnie in extreme cold and wind. The auger worked flawlessly and we moved several times. We got to a new location and after pulling the recoil a couple of times without starting the auger, suddenly I could not pull my recoil. It was like it was vapor locked. It was cold out, so rather than fight with an auger that wasn't working I went for my buddies auger. As I was getting my buddies auger out of the truck, I bumped mine and it fell off the tail gate. No obvious damage so I tried it again and it started right up. I assumed it froze up somehow in the very cold conditions.

Today in above freezing temps, it happened again. This time, instead of dropping it on the ice, I took off the recoil and realized that the magneto was actually rubbing on one side of the flywheel. There was a gap on one side and a tight grinding on the other side of the flywheel. It runs great as long as it doesn't get "stuck" on the magneto and you cannot pull the recoil.

Anyone ever experience this? What caused it? It's like the shaft is bent somehow. Any help would be appreciated.