• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Riding around Sturgis

Tinkhamtown

run every canyon or back road you can, I go to sturgis every year ( excapt last 2 , economy reasons) During the week I will put antwhere from 700 -1000 riding around out there. I cant get enough, Newcastle,, devils tower etc, nice but can get hot, go see the hatchery in Spearfish, ride the Spearfish canyon then head back to Sturgis, Check out deadwood There are maps all over once you get out there.

While many/most of the roads between Sturgis and Custer Park have lots of curves, particularly if you drive the Needles Hwy and or Iron Mountain Rd, be ready for lots of curves. Uphill curves, downhill curves, left curves, right curves, all sorts of curves. A few of them are kinda tight and a few of the uphill curves might just catch you one or two gears too high. smile

Be wary as on some of the roads you can't see far ahead and there just might be someone stopped taking a picture in the middle of the road just around the next bend.

That same map that I linked in is the one that machohorn referred to as being all over out there. It's true, nearly every place you stop they are there.

Yes, Newcastle can be an nice, open ride. Go through and stop at the Buckhorn Bar. Can also Roll out to Sundace and back around to the Freeway or other routes. We go this way when the other routes are in Parade Formation. Allows us the let the bike stretch out a bit.

Ride Free and Keep the Rubber side down....

Well we made it home from Sturgis safely and I must say I did not want to come home I was simply having too much fun! We stayed at Chris campground in Spearfish enjoying very clean restrooms and showers; breakfast cafe with wonderfully large omelets, coffee bar by restroom every morning, only negative was how they crammed two groups into each campsite. Thanks to everyone on this site for their suggestions many super rides including 3 trips through Spearfish canyon, 2 trips Vanocker canyon with 2 breakfasts in Nemo, rode Iron Mountain Road and Needles Hwy, went on nice ride to Newcastle WY, had a beer at the Buckhorn bar, shopped Wall Drug, Sturgis, Deadwood, FTS Full Throttle Saloon, Newell, and Belle Fourche.

We put on over 800 miles riding on the up and down twisty turny roads in very beautiful Black hills my bike turned over 40,000 miles on this trip and yes I rode my bike out 635 miles and trailer back. If you ride motorcycle you just have to go to the Sturgis rally and ride this area at least once. This was our 5th time and it has been very enjoyable and different than I expected each time.

Tink

Glad you enjoyed it. Now put this in the back of you head,,, When riding around in the canyons and you see a gravel road take it, but take it slow until you build confidence most are in really good riding condition, (another hint> Many are only gravel on the 1st 1/2 mile to a mile on each end) keeps traffic to a minimum for the locals.