• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin-Lowrance GPS

ReelTimes

Question

I have been looking at the Garmin 162 and 182. Still not clear to me what the difference is? Also, the Lowrance 2400 and 1600...again not sure the difference. I want a GPS that will give me mapping functions...maps that also display contour as well as position. I fish Rainy Lake more then any other lake. Any thoughts. Thanks much.

2 answers to this question

You are not going to find many options when it comes to contours for Rainey Lake. And what is there is marginal at best. Shoreline detail is better but you'll find that limited to the US side.
As far as differences between units, I have not seen a Garmin 182 but the 162 has a 240 VP screen and 2.5 Mb of internal memory.
Lowrance units the 160o has a 160 VP screen and 2 Mb of internal memory that can only take info from the Map Create 4 series of CD's. The 2400 has a 240 VP screen and uses the flash cards instead of internal memory. This gives it more flexibility when it coms to info. It uses the Map Create 6 software or it can use the Navionics Hot Map chips.

Rob