• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HORSE REPORT...AKA BUG REPORT

I thought it would be "neat" to monitor the bug population in the different areas of this forum's visitors. So far, where "I come from..." which is between Grand Rapids and Hibbing, MN the mosquitoes are so bad that my grey has bumps all over in the morning. The gnats are chewing away at their famous favorite spots. The deer flies are not quite here yet, nor are the horse flies.

Riding is still possible in the cooler evenings out on the trails. A little bug spray and a tail swatter carried along does the trick...not for long, so don't tell the bugs where I ride!! eek

Hope to hear from visorts around the different areas!! Happy Horsin'!!

Great idea fisherchick... Around northwest Iowa I really dont believe the bugs are too nasty as of yet. It has been cool for many of the days but today we had some warm weather finally and I noticed that the mosquitoos were somewhat nasty by night fall tonight..

I will keep you updated as the reports progress... smile

Thanks, Hondarider! Our humidity and wet spring has been a HEAVEN for the 'skeets. THEY ARE BAD...I love the sound of them hovering above the ground in the evening in their massive clouds....sounds like a street light!

Seems like NW Iowa is around the same right now for bugs as we are. You guys do get the big flesh eating horse flies too, right? I love riding in the summer, running down the trail and seeing them and the deer flies bob along chasing you...

Thanks for the response(s)!! Been great chating with ya!

I live a couple miles south of Grand rapids and it's not only the fly's and skeeters but the ticks were really starting to show up on my colt, i bought some 14 day spray at the local farm supply store and to my amazement the stuff actually works,really well, it's suppose to kill everything that lands on the horse and i don't know if it does that but it definately keeps them away,including those little gnats that get into the ears

Hondarider, how DID that spray work? Just wondering....

The tick population has diminished quite a bit...the skeets are still going strong, but the rest of the pesky varmits are slowly declining.....riding had been tolerable with a swisher tail along the trail.

HAPPY TRAILS!!!

That spray works GREAT!!! I really can notice a difference when using this product. It may not last quite the 14 days that it states but that is really asking alot. It really does not take that much product to work...

How are the bugs treating your horses lately? Flies are out and about with some mosquitos showing up later evenings...

A couple of products I use are Durvet and Permethrin 10...Both are Livestock and Premise spray concentrates that you mix up..A small pint bottle costs about 16.00. Both also are rated for up to 14-21 days.

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is that the active ingrediants of Permethrins and Pyrethrins in horse sprays have become less than 1% in the premixed sprays..This is the main reason that the sprays haven't been working that well over the past few years..Durvet and Permethrin 10 both contain 10% Permethrin. There are other livestock concentrates that you can purchase that do contain more than 10% of Permethrins or Pyrethrins, but they also cost quite a bit more.

With these products you mix 8 fl oz. to 50 gallons. I generally mix a little under an ounce to a gallon..

I hope you find this info handy..Thanks

tri-tech 14, i buy it at the local L&M supply for about $20 a bottle and i think it works the best out of the spray's i've used but that's just spray's,I haven't dabbled in the livestock insecticides yet just cause I know alot of horses have much more sensitive skin than cow's and I don't want him breaking out in hives or any other medical issue that might require spendy med's.

The product that I am using is called Endure made by Farnam. It is a sweat resistant spray or roll on that is suppose to last about 14 days... It does work but Im not sure about the entire 14 days... I usually spray down the horses about once per week...

It contains Cypermethrin 0.15% and Pyrethrins 0.20%.

Cost is about $20 per spray bottle but also available in gallon refill size...