• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 740 woodsman

I've got one!! Woodsman or Woodsmaster? I think a 740 is a Woodsmaster, at least mine is.

Its an older version of Remington's autoloader manufactured from 1955-1959 (just looked it up and didn't realize it was this old). My great-grandpa bought the one I now have and I use it every fall for rifle season.

The 740 Woodsmaster was made in 4 calibers:

.244 Remington, .308 Win, .280 Remington, .30-06

I have the .280 Remington.

Tell you what... its a pretty good gun. I've never, ever had any issues with it.

I used to work at Mills Fleet Farm awhile back in the sporting goods dept. We did have people bring them back with issues that they would jam, especially when it got cold out. Maybe they've fixed that problem now, its been 12 yrs. since I worked there.

One of the problems with the 740 was the angle of the locking lugs. The angle was too steep and if you gently let the bolt close, it sometimes would not lock into the firing position. You had to let the bolt slam shut so it would lock up. The 742 changed the angle. As for the jamming, I knew a couple of guys who had them and had no problems. I think keeping them cleaned and lubed avoided most of the problems.