• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do YOU set up for vertical jigging pannies?

Christopher Quast

Just curious what your tried and true method is for vertical jigging panfish especially the big bulls, I noticed the other day when I pulled my line up my jig was twisting back and forth, so I started thinking should I put a barrel swivel about a foot up from my hook and then tied a leader line to the hook and it seemed to help a little, but yet alot of them were still sniffers and not biters any tips???????

Line twist is am major factor in catching any fish not just gills. Im not a big fan of barrel swivels but it the situation warrants its use then use them. Another factor is the weight and type of line I use #2 either flourocarbon or a copolymer line for reduced visibilty and stretch. I also primarily use horizontal presentations utilizing several types of plastics depending on the situation.

I always use a spro size 12 swivel on my panny rods, and you will get spin on fireline. If you have fireline, put on a small spoon with a waxworm tboned on one of the hooks, drop it down to about 20 fow and reel it in. When it comes out of the water it will start spinning, so if it spins out of the water, it will in it. I don't think fireline is a good choice for super small finesse presentations as it is relatively stiff and does not hang straight with small jigs. I have had better luck on finicky panfish using the swivels and offering a still presentation.

You may also want to change presentations, I have had times when they wouldn't touch a horizontal jig, but would hit the vertical jig and the opposite has held true at times also. When they're aggressive it doesn't matter, but how often does that happen. Just be ready for any scenario and have a variety of baits and plastics along to throw at them.

I use #2 lb fireline crystal tied to a tiny swivel then about a 2 ft piece of 4lb flouro. I've noticed this eliminates line twists and also since neither line stretches I have more sensitivity. Also the crystal is actually slightly visiable and can hinder finiky bites so the section of flourocarbon would help in that case. Remember clairity imporves quite a bit during Ice season so a stationary jig will get scrutinized much more.