• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonka Crappies?

Spazzums08

I'd concentrate on the first break in the bays. Doubt they will have moved very shallow by Sat. Slip float and jig. I prefer plastics like Culprit 1 1/2 inch paddletails or Powerbait tubes/minnows. Just a bit of Gulp or a waxies on the hair jig also works well. Cruise until you mark fish then set your depth to be about a foot above them and work the jig slowly. On the west end I check out Black's and Phelps. East end Gray's and the bay on the south side of Big Island.

On Tonka the first break tends to be at 12 to 15ft - think of the summer time weed edges. Use your trolling motor once you locate fish. I cast a slip bobber and slowly work it back to the boat. Once water temps get into the 50s the crappies will move shallow. Also find the warmest water you can. Typically dark bottom north bays. Concentrate on the areas where the wind has been blowing into. Last night I was on a smaller west Metro lake. Water temps on the west end were low 40s but reached 50 on the east end with the wind out of the west. Lot more fish on the east breaklines.

Welcome to FishingMinnesota Pouliot. Check out some of the other threads within this forum for help on terminal tackle and rods. That's a pretty open question so you'll probably get a lot of answers.

Spent some time on Tonka this past week. Find water over 48 degrees and generally you'll find the fish. Look to the north shorelines as holding the warmest water and fish. Even in bays/channels where the water is consistent, still look to the north shoreline. The sun holds true to those areas longer throughout the day and you can bet the fish enjoy that extra warmth.

A lot of fish in the shallow boat marinas and cuts, but don't look past the weed edges right now too, especially for the schools of larger fish...

A lot of spots out there to fish that are producing right now, an outstanding body of water...