• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower unit seals??

Pikeslayer

Im changeing the two seals that go together on the lower unit of my 1974(85-horse) Johnson.The guy I ordered them from said to put them in back to back,one to hold oil in and one to hold water out! When I took out the old ones they were both put in the same way,to hold the oil in!What way is the best?? THANKS!!

Back to back. What I do is use a little Gasket Sealing Compound or aviation sealant (gorilla snot) on the outside of the seal-the non-hardening loctite sealers work fine too, and once installed I put a little triple guard grease in the lips.

No, It doesn't need to lock into place, just to form a light seal between the seal and bearing carrier. The grease between the lips helps to seal as well as provide a little lubrication for the lips.