• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running Lights/Tail Lights

dougr1969

All,

Plugged in my trailer to check out lights and found out the tail lights and running lights on trailer are not working. Brake light work when I press the brakes, and the turn signal lights work as well. I am new to boat ownership so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Usually the pigtail connector from truck to trailer is the culprit. Make sure there is no corrosion between the two, and the connections are tight. Next biggest thing is the ground is bad, but usually you will have wacky things like alternating signals, brake lights turning running lights on, etc... when the ground is the issue. A fuse at the truck could be to blame as well. Most modern trucks have separate fuses for trailer lighting, look in your owners manual for the right one. Also, by chance both bulbs could be burned out. I have been foiled by this, thinking that if both are out there must be a bigger problem, only to spend a lot of time dinking around checking everything else before simply checking the bulbs. A test light will be your biggest friend-for a couple of bucks at any auto part store, anyone who pulls a trailer should have one, and keep it in their truck. One word of advice with a test light: never probe into the wiring insulation, just check connections and terminals, especially so where wiring can get wet! Hope this helps.

John has it pretty well laid out above.

Start at the truck's connector with a trouble light and see if you're getting power to the pin that the brown wire runs into on the truck side - if you've got power there you'll have to chase it back from the trailer's connector to the taillights. Since the running lights aren't working either it's likely somewhere between the pigtail connector and they y in the trailer where it splits off.

Also, if you've got good turn signal / brake lights, it's probably not a ground issue - those should be acting eratically as well.

Good luck!

marine_man