• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mowing Down Tall Grass Field

blongtin

I've slowly been trying to mow down more and more of the tall grasses that haven't ever been mowed down on our lot. I'm just using a regular lawn mower and progressively lowering the deck each time I go over it. What I've noticed is that in some spots it's extremely rough ground. Where it looks level from a distance but when you're going over it there are spots where it seems like there are about 6" holes everywhere. It's a pain driving over all of it and could easily sprain an ankle if your not careful. Is there anything I can do to make the ground more even or will it fix itself over time?

Also once I mow down the tall grasses is there anything I can put on it to grow a better quality grass. It's probably similar to crp right now and would just a mixture of weed & feed and some grass seed spread over it help or is there something out there specifically for that? Thanks

As you use that part of the property, slowly, meaning years most likely, it will eventually even out without doing anything extra to it.

The grasses will eventually just fill in, but it will never be like a seeded or sodded yard.

The best solution is to get some decent soil and fill these areas in, and then reseed the entire place with what you'd like to have as a grass. If you don't want "prairie grass" growing up into your newly seeded grass, then you're going to have to use Round-up or other glyphosate based product to kill what you have, or do it the natural way and cover it with black plastic.