• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VAN / RV Rental

Anybody have any hints on the best and most economical way to rent a van or RV for a weeklong trip to AK. I've heard it may cost $2,000 for a van rental for one week. Can that be true? If so, how much would an RV be? Am planning to fly into Anchorage and venture down to Homer for some fishing.

Any contacts or info would be appreciated.

I used to wash RV's for ABC rental in Anchorage about 10 yrs ago. They opened an office right at the airport in anch. Do a websearch for RV rental anchorage. From their HSOforum it looks like about $110-200/day for a 20+' RV. I guess you'll have to compare that to renting a car and getting a hotel every night, I'd personally do an RV cuz if you find a hot river run on the way you can camp right there and be fishing early/late/all the time;-)

redhooks

Camp Bob, we are heading up to anchorage on july 26 and returning aug 5th, we are renting a 22'rv from great alaskan holidays, 9 days for 1957.00$ including tax, i have done the trip approx 8 times before, one time i rented from ABC and the experience was only ok, what comes with some of the other rentals seems to be a "extra" cost there, the toliet would barely flush but they really didnt care and sent us down the road anyhow, the owner at the time kinda upset me by how he treated his employees, i think he was "bob" also, yell and scream at people to get moving then turn around and talk to you like nothing odd was happining..

one time we tried clippership, in our case it was a bad mistake that we wont make again, there was a couple of others but i cant seem to find them again, so with great alaskan we will see so i hope its good!! we are flying sun country, which we have taken a couple times before and has been great! but if you havent got plane tix yet do it soon!!! since we bought ours the same flights as ours have went from 580 RT to almost 750!! since feb 29th!

When are you going? if you need anymore info let me know

Best deal I've found is Alamo. If you are looking for transportation just to haul several people look into two cars. There are four of us going this Aug. and we rented 2 cars. Price was $400 each including tax for 10 days. A van would have been about $1800.00 plus tax. One thing you have to watch for when renting cars or RV's is that AK has about a 25% tax on them. Renting for those single days over the weekly rental is what jacks up the price.