• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on adding Hydro-Troll?

Dahitman44

You can call it the happy troller or hydro troller or whatever, but I have been thinking about this for years.

I got a new rig last year with a 175 suzuki. I love it but would like another option on going slow in different conditions.

I use a drift sock as well as a bow-mount trolling motor.

These Hydro-trolls seem like a nice idea, but I have NEVER met anyone that has used one. The unit is a steel flap that locks down in place on your motor and makes you run slower.

Who has one out there and what are the pros and cons? How do they work in the real world?

Besides having a ton of backup shear pins are they a good option?

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this.

Hitman

I have a happy trolling plate on my 110 evenrude and love it I use it when ever my bow mount trolling motor is not strong enough or when I run out of battery I can troll as slow as .5 mph.If Iwas to buy another boat I would add it on that one also.

I also have a trolling plate on my 55 hp Evenrude and I love it. Not only does it slow my boat down for trolling but it also helps my boat get up on plane when it is up for high speed. One thing that you want to make sure of it that you have to make sure that you do not forget to put the plate back up when you are done trolling. It supposedly can be a bad for your motor if you would happen to forget. If you do forget you will be reminded very quickly though so there should really be not damage. I would definitely put one on any boat that I would buy.

We had one on our first boat and I hated the thing. It did slow me down properly but it also hindered my control. It exagerated my turns, meaning I couldn't turn nearly as sharply. Kind of frustrated me when I came up on a break, or the wind moved me off my troll and wanted to turn quickly but I couldn't. If you're on a lake that you know like the back of your hand, maybe not a big deal. You can anticipate the breaks a little bit. When on a new lake that your not as familiar with, the breaks can come up on you pretty fast. I finally just removed the thing and when with a hydrofoil. I get much better control with my electric and this year, with the price of fuel, I have a feeling I'll not be trolling cranks as much this summer. This, however was on a 25HP and 15 ft Lund Pike boat.

I have a happy troller without a hydrofoil I have not had a problem with control or speed when trolling cranks or bottom bouncers it does not affect my electric troller because I trim my outboard up when using my electric it is on a 110 evenrude on a 1700 lund fisherman boat my boat does not turn very sharp with the outboard anyway.

I would have to 2nd the lack of control if your trying to troll a weed edge with it, I had mine on a 70 evinrude I found a lot of the time it was to slow and had to rev the engine to get the speed I wanted. If you don’t have a good electric trolling motor or a kicker it’s a affordable way to go but has limitations. RR

I had no pin problems but a friend of mine had one and he had trouble with the pin but this was no surprise he is kind of hard on stuff. I didn’t use mine much because of the control problems probably less then 10 times a year.