• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Flow Gauge Opinions?

Giant_Jackpot

Question

Does anyone have any experience using the LMF 200 multi function gauge along with the fuel flow meter from Lowrance? I looked up some reviews and it seems to be a good unit but there was some question as to how well it works at idle. I figure if I troll for 4 hours and the flow meter is not reading anything then it would be a waste of money. Opinions on any other fuel flow gauges would also be helpful. I’m running a 2006 150hp Suzuki 4 stroke.

3 answers to this question

I have no experience with the Lowrance units, I do have Mercury smartcraft systems on my outboards (they came as standard equipment, I wouldn't have added them) and they work the same way as the Lowrance. These units calculate fuel consumption based on information gathered by the PCM using throttle position, load, airflow etc. not actual fuel flow, but rather mathmatical calculations from the fuel tables built into the PCM. They work very similar to the mileage computers on modern autos and trucks. I have used and installed Floscan meters on my diesel boats and installed some for others on gas inboards. These are the instruments you want for precision accurate fuel consumption info. They use an actual flow meter installed in the supply and return line, a micro-processor calculates the difference in supply and return giving a very precise consumption reading. They also have a totalizer which lets you see how much fuel you have burned since you last filled the tanks. I have checked accuracy over thousands of gallons and they are really accurate to less than 1/10th of 1 percent. I think they are now making units for outboards, although depending on how you use your boat, you might just be spending money on another gadget rather than an instrument that is really needed. Do a search for floscan, check them out and see if it is something you need. Whatever your decision, these are the best and the real deal for fuel management.

I also have the Merc Smartcraft gauges and love them. Only downside is they work on my big motor, not on my kicker ...... but how important is knowing fuel consumption from a kicker grin.gif

I'm not very familiar with the Lowrance fuel flow meters ....... the only thing I recall hearing about them are that you have to mount them level (horizontal) for them to be accurate.

Capt. & Perch,

Thanks for the info. My main reason for considering the fuel flow gauge is the fact that when the gas gauge read empty, there is still 10 gallons of fuel in the 40 gallon tank. It’s just one of those things that bothers me. I did check out the Floscan units and they look nice. For the Lowrance, I did find out through more research that in addition to the inline flow sensor they make a Suzuki interface that would connect directly to the motor. I’m not sure if I’m going to do anything yet, just looking for real world experience.

Thanks,