• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did i do?

I just am starting musky fishing this summer and I decided to look for some slightly used stuff. I got a Abu C3 6501 which is a year old and was spooled with 80 pound tuf line and a leader. The rod is a 7’ 6” H Cabelas fish eagle II which is 2 years old. Both are in good condition. Then I got 26 lures which were all in good shape and didn’t look like they had been used at all. They are a good mixture of all kinds of lures to work all depths. Also a tackle box, about 100 extra treble hooks and the little circle thingys I forgot what they are called to hold the hooks on the lures, and 2 leaders for 280 dollars.

The round things are probably split rings. Make sure you get a the biggest coated, knotless net you can afford and also the proper release tools, some are better than others. Being these lures are all used make sure you check them over good before using. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Good luck.

Hiya -

About the hook cutters.... You can get a pair of min bolt cutters at Sears for about 20 bucks. You NEED to get a compound pressure pair of cutters rather than just sidecutters. Sidecutters won't cut some hooks.

They're more money, but I would really recommend that you get a set of Knipex min bolt cutters from someplace like Esox Angler or Thorne Brothers. They're twice the money a Sears one will set you back but unless you drop it in the drink it'll last you half of forever compared to the cheap ones. I used to go through a pair of Sears cutters every year. The Knipex I have now are 7 years old and cut like they're brand new. Best thing about them is even a heavy 7/0 is a one-handed deal.

Hook cutters are an absolute must. It's a have them or don't fish deal... Seriously.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Broken record part II: Knipex cutters are a must have. I cut a lot of hooks this year, not necessarily because I had to, rather because it makes it so easy to get a fish back in the water quickly and avoid hooks in my hand, arm, face, etc.

If the unfortunate happens and you do catch a hook, you can quickly get out of a pickle with a one-handed Knipex snip vs. the "hardware store" cutters on a 7/0 that need two hands and 50 pounds of body leaned to get through the hook shank.

nice start... only about 1500 bucks to go. somebody said split rings are those little circle thingys. i'd guess that too. glad to have you aboard rookie. get new hooks even if theres a speck of rust on them, change them. lol i just posted that somewhere else. gl