• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for night trolling.......

sparkyaber

I know this has been beaten to death, but I really couldn't find an answer to my question. So..

I am in the proccess of setting up my reata for trolling on lake michigan. I am just about done, but have been thinking of lighting. What is everyone using? Color? Placement? I am thinking of putting two(one on each side) led strip lights from cabelas on the fiberglass next to the jump seats. This way I can turn them on, and charge all of my glow spoons, flies, and dodgers, while they are sitting on the back of the jumpseats. Folded down of course. Also, I was thinking of putting some other lights at the consoles, something indirect maybe.

Anyone with any ideas?

I troll cranks for walleyes at night A LOT out of the same boat as you. I want the boat as dark as possible, to not ruin my night vision any more than necessary. I run the bow and stern lights of course. I leave all interior lights in the boat off almost all of the time, the only exception would be the lights between the consoles sometimes get used when digging through the tackle trays or retying. I keep a spot light and a mag light handy, usually on the shelf under the passenger console. We all wear headlamps or clip on cap lights, but have those off unless we're letting out line or reeling in fish.

Thanks perch- what would you use if you had to glow a bunch of stuff? I was thinking of a spot light, but that would have to be held in my hands, not letting me do other stuff like setting out all of the lines. I am open to any ideas.

Ooops, I had a little more info but my wife wanted to get on the computer.

One idea for interior lighting that I've heard about and think sounds like a good idea (although I have no interest in it for my boat) is to put rope lighting under the consoles. I would think the small led strip lights from cabelas that you mentioned would also work well under the consoles.

Is there any way you could put a bright light inside one of the compartments, and charge up your glow lures in there? Maybe in the side rod storage, maybe you could find a way to hang lures in there and have a light mounted that would shine on them, but not light up the boat or shine in your eyes??? If mounting something in the boat doesn't work, what about a portable "glow box" ----- I've heard of guys using things like a rubbermaid container with a snap on/off lid --- line the inside with aluminum foil for reflectivity, and mount or place some lights and your glow baits in there????

I like those ideas a bunch. I kinda thought about using one of the compartments, but I like the idea of a glow box instead, I could just plug it into the cigarette lighter. Now we are talking. Thanks for the great idea.