• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Here are some lures I made quite a few years back...

I used to make some lures that were similar to suicks with a buddy and I have a large balsa crank for muskies.

Here they are. We made more but he kept some of the others. Caught fish on the suick look alike, some big pike.

2242892471_6e27327066.jpg

This big crank is something I love, but haven't given it enough water time to catch anything with it yet. This thing wobbles wider than anything I have ever seen before, close to a foot side to side on a slow roll.

2243684192_4cdcd603b2.jpg

My buddy is the paint master, he could probably do one of these now to look better than anything you see available in the stores. When he gets enough demand he does taxidermy. The colors on the pics are somewhat hard to make out because of tricky lighting in my kitchen, but the suick style bait is blaze orange with black and the big crank is golden red tiger with that nice red prizm eye. I am not sure if I could do small baits as the eyelets are tough to hold in if you use small ones, big baits are pretty easy though. If you want to try it, a spindle sander will be your best friend for shaping, followed closely by a band saw for large chunk removal. It is fun though. And the reward you get when you do catch a fish on a big bait you made yourself is pretty awesome.

Thinking about it, that big bad crank would probably knock some big eyes trolling slow in the fall. It runs about 6-8' and has a wide rolling wobble, along with a good color (we hit em on a similar color on Mille Lacs). Better put a leader in front of it though as a musky would be prone to lift it as well.

I really need to get back into these as it is a lot of fun.

Yeah, the crank is really nice looking. I have to give it some water time this summer as it really deserves a chance to pull in a ski or big pike. If I could find a big sluggish bass looking for a big lazy meal, she might even be interested in it.

There is some gold on the crank, the back is black with the tiger stripes, and the upper body is gold fading into red for the belly. I really love the action of that bad boy in the water. If I was a fish, I would eat it.