• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dried Venison Recipe Anyone?

Had some this weekend from a meat locker, was really tasty. I can tell that the meat is brined, as it was quite salty. Seemed to be just your avg. roast, brined, dried, and then sliced really thin.

Any insight as to the drying process? Wife's hair dryer? Put it on the dehumidifier? \:\)

Joel

I'd vote for taking the hind quarters of venison to a locker to have them do it. Ours costs about 12.00 for two hind quarters, and it comes back sliced and packaged. I don't think I could do it myself for that and theirs always turns out. I hate to think of wrecking the venison that I prize so much. I also do not have a meat slicer that would cut it as thin as they do. Just my thoughts, Brent

Quote:
can this be done in an oven as well or do you need a dehydrator or smoker?

I still don't have a dehydrator and I don't trust my smoker skills with anything but fish, but I have made "jerky" in the oven for years.

I marinate thin, 6-8" strips of venison overnight in liquid smoke, garlic, crushed red pepper, jerky seasoning (basically what ever combination you think is going to be tasty), etc. I try to make 3 or 4 different flavors so that everyone I share them with finds something they like (hopefully). The next step is important:

MAKE SURE YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND IS OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!!!

Cover the bottom of the stove with aluminum foil, pull out both racks and spray with Pam. Drape the strips over the racks (trying to avoid where the heating element is on the bottom of the stove to avoid smoking). That is where having the spouse out of the house is important, because it does make the house smell like jerky for awhile grin.gif

Cook on the lowest temp. possible for 5-6 hours or until it tears apart with the consisteny that you like.

Pull the strips off the racks and cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours and you should be good to go.