• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 XLT SP bogs down

GoodToGo

I am getting an XLT for an excellent price, it is one I've borrowed and put about 1000 miles on over the last few years and it runs great. The one hitch is it fairly regularly bogs down at about 3000 rpms when starting from a dead stop. You can either kind of repeatedly rev it to get it past this point, or flip it to half choke very briefly and give throttle right afterwards. I know that carb boots have been recently replaced, and needles and seats at some point in the past. Other than this it runs perfect, any ideas?

Try mechanically synchronizing carbs, then, if you have access use a pressure gage to get them on. I never had access to the gage, so I just synced manually. First things first, take the top of the airbox off. Use gage pins or twist drills as feelers to check all slides at rest, use gold adjuster knob on side of carb to get all even. Next, using a mirror, or standing on your head, watch the opening of the carbs to make sure they all pick up at the same time, use the throttle cable and jam nuts on top of the carbs to adjust this. Finally, verify at full throttle that all slides are clearing the top of the throat. I found that this did wonders for me beyond carb boots, float valves and belts. The best part is this just takes a little of your time and no $$. You might try cleaning your clutches as well. If they are binding, you will bog. If the bronze bushing on the primary is sloppy, you will bog.

I owned two of these sleds for a combined total of 18K+ miles. The triple can be a little finicky, but it is much smoother than my newer twin.

FLaker

Sounds like good advice. Supposedly, it has done this since day one when the previous owner bought it, through multiple carb cleanings and needle/seat replacements. I was wondering if it was choke or sync related. Other than this one thing it runs like a champ.