• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing cribs

Cooter

Any suggestions/tips for fishing cribs? Troll cranks over them? Jig/plastics combos? Bulldawgs? Shumway Fuzzys?

Gets tough if you're gonna be snagging $20 lures all the time, although you can usually bend hooks with today's equipment.

I think the term crib is a little too general to get a useful response. I picked up a 30"er over on Long Lake (Chippewa county, out your direction) over the cribs on a small bucktail, beyond that I would say try not to go too deep to avoid a snag. Fish will come up to hit it.

By crib I mean a manmade structure, usually made out of wood to serve as fish habitat. Most around here are placed in roughly 15-22 fow.

BTW - I haven't fished Long in a while but heard the cabbage weeds are making a nice comeback.

Yeah, these were log drops but probably in only 8-10 feet as they are in my lake. It was near sunset and you could still see them in the water, Long is pretty clear but not that clear. We found some patches of cabbage, but it was another type of weed that was more prominent. Difficult to fish over, but there were also some nice pike coming out of the thicker stuff.

That deep I'd say cranks are a good bet, just control the depth (you don't need to be a mile back, anywhere beyond 30 feet to get the desired depth will work). Weighted jerkbaits could also work well, as often there are mid sized fish chasing baitfish in the area. Giving them an easy target in the area could produce.