• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcaster Maintenance???

tigerbalm2424

Question

This will be my first full year using baitcasting reels. I purchased a less expensive model last year and it worked great but towards the end of the year it started making noise when reeling. I purchased a couple more reels this spring for the upcoming year and I was just wondering what maintenace I should be doing to the reels between trips to keep them in tip top condition. I purchased a couple of inexpensive Daiwas to start off the year. Do baitcasters need to be lubricated? Greased? If so, where do I do it on the reels? NOTE: I didnt receive any manuals with the new daiwa reels. I've searched the internet but cant find anything.

THanks guys!

3 answers to this question

I know you don't have shimano reels, but if you go to their HSOforum, you can find some pretty good tutorials on lubricating fishing reels, whether baitcasters or spinning reels. It should be pretty close to standard across the board as far as manufactures. You can find them under the service heading on the HSOforum.

Good lube...Quantum Hot Sauce.

i would also suggest going on line to see if you can down load some diagrams!

i would be very carefull about tearing into a reel, since you don't have the diagrams.there are parts that can be easily put in the wrong order , and then you have problems.( i still have to refer to mine from time to time, and i've been doing the same reels for years!) i would recomend getting some reel oil.( reel ease,and hot sauce to name a few) then you can put a couple of drops on the levelwind gear. this could some of your troubles. del