• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Latecomers and Noise on the Ice

As Ice season is upon us, I thought it would be nice for all who care to post ideas that will turn what can be a nuisance for many (namely latecomers)into a better experience for all.

I've had many occurances during hard water fishing where the guy with "no clue" shows up at prime time and begin drilling holes almost on top of me.

This not only ruins my fishing, but the latecomer's as well.

My remedy is to drill extra holes for those not able to come and set-up early, or those fishing a lake for their first time. It allows for friendly introductions and dialogue for a more productive outcome for all those invloved.

Select the distance you feel comfortable with (as close or far away) from your set-up as you like.

Other Ideas?

------------------
Chells

Thats has to rate extremely high on the list of "WHAAAAT"? If you think another group that comes out after you and drills holes close by is going to ruin your day of fishing, you need to find somewhere else or another hobby. What's prime time? Nine may be different than yours. I can't tell you how many times I've been out and things have slowed down when all of a sudden here comes a truck accross the lake then BAM! there goes the bobber. But one thing I can say is do others a favor and push the slush back in the hole to prevent others from hitting the clump while traveling. Also leave the place cleaner than when you arrived. And quit thinking your results of a days catch are other peoples fault. Only you can change your bait and location.

Good luck and stay safe.....

Chells awesome response to an ugly problem you are alright in my book. Now days so many people don't even know who there neighbors are. It is getting to be such a selfish self centered society. Is it any wonder things are as they are, Sometimes all it takes is a random act of kindness to turn the tide and who knows you may find a new friend or two.

I have not had a good fishing experience since I started ice fishing in Minnesota. I go to college up here but came from Wisconsin. I have caught loads or fish but have never had the good conversations on the ice or at the parking lot that I have had in Wisconsin. This would really solve that problem and I would appreciate extra holes becuase all I can afford is a 4inch hand auger and when the ice gets thick it takes me so long to get holes cut. I have had people right next to me not even offer to cut holes for me and there was like 2 or 3 feet of ice up on mille lacs last year. Maybe it is just something that doesn't happen here but I would be nice to see. I also agree with the the trash issue on the ice. I have never seen a lake messier than bald eagle was last year. Please everyone pick up your trash and any other you see it takes a few minutes and will clean up our bad rep as well. I hope I didn't offend anyone just my experience so far. Have a great ice season and please stop in and say hi.

Cubbies

Whoops I forgot something. I would like to comment on Boaters post. I have had the same experience but it has happend maybe one in ten times. Most of the time the noise scares fish away. I was on a lake back home once and I got on some crappies in 40 feet of water under 2 feet of ice. That is until someone fired up there drill and punched a hole 10 yards from me. Poof the locater cleared and I had to find them again.

Good Fishing

Cubbies

I guess it is in my experience if you want a hobby so should have the tools to do the hobby. I have never offered to drill holes for anyone but if you ask I am more than will to drill them. I have even drill holes right in the middle of my catching of fish for someone I didn't know. Maybe I am a dink for that but that is how I am.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

So you are saying I should quit ice fishing because I am spending my money on college and not on ice fishing? Doesn't sound practicle to me. You are also saying that the next generation should not be ice fishing without all the right tools? In my opinion I would gladly help someone without the right tools if they were just getting started in this great sport. I have even took someone to my hot spot when I saw they weren't catching any. Guess that must be a Wisconsin thing. Oh yeah Go Packers!!!

Cubbies

That is the last you will hear from me on that topic. To summerize I agree with and will certainly drill some extra holes and will not drill close to someone else. Doesn't really matter cause I am usually set up before light anyways. Good fishing to one and all.

Cubbies

Cubbies, I think IFF said if anyone asked him, he drill away. I didn't see where anyone said you shouldn't be spending money on college?>?...? confused.gif The idea of pre-drilling has it's merits. If you're worried about neighbors being noisy, it might be the right thing to do. I always try to be a good neighbor on the ice. If you're whippin donuts around my space with a sled...thats another thing. mad.gif
chunk
"Where's my fish whistle?"

Two issues here: Prime time encroachers and helpful drilling.

Many is the time I've seen someone with an ailing power auger or a dull hand auger or just any hand auger trying to get through thick ice. I'm not known as a particularly social guy, but I almost always go over and offer to drill some holes. Why not? We're not ice fishing in a wilderness area for cripessake. And there are enough jerks in the world already, so why be one? Plus, it gives me a chance to show off how fast my Strikemaster can drill. grin.gif

I agree that drilling at "prime time" puts off the fish more often than it turns on a bite, in my experience. But I'd sure rather have me drill 6 holes in a couple minutes than somebody with a dull auger wrestle with them for 10.

Now, if someone comes up at that prime time and begins to set up 20 feet away with no holes drilled yet, I'll walk up and explain things to them. If they're reasonable, they'll move off. If they're not, then they're not, and they drill away. Why get miffed? Life's too short, and plenty of times I've had that happen and have still caught those low-light eyes and crappies.

Cubbies: I'm a LaCrosse native, and I've cheerfully performed this service in North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'll drill holes for you anytime. Of course, I have a 10-inch auger, so you'd have to watch out you don't fall in after you're used to those little things you already call ice fishing holes. tongue.gif

Packers rule grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I by no means am saying that you shouldn't pay for college first. But when I attended college the first 2 years of school I went ice fishing a total of about 6 times. The next year after a good summer construction job and good job during school I starting fishing every weekend I could. Now that I am done with school it is easier that is for sure. I am out every weekend from Dec to the beginning of April. One thing that work well for me was I lived with 2 other guys that loved to fish and between all of use it was pretty easy to have the equipment. Keep your eyes open in the $150 forum there always are good deals there. Right now there is a 10" 3 HP Eskimo in there for $150 not a bad deal for a big auger. So while fishing can be expense if doesn't have to be if you look in the right spot.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Yup, you CAN find deals. I paid $130 for a one-year-old rental Fish Trap II that sold for $300 retail. I paid $150 for a Strikemaster XL-3000 that was one year old and retailed for $300. I paid nothing but labor for my FL8-SLT (refinished living room hardwood floor for ice fishing friend, who paid me with the brand new Vex in the pro pack).

But $150 loomed large when I was a college student. Lots of muscle and will, not a lot of caaaash. grin.gifgrin.gif

These days, I've lost some of the muscle and will, but still don't have a lot of caaaash. What's wrong with this picture? blush.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2003).]

Cubbies,
I commend you for ice fishing while you are in college. I spent 6 years going to school in Houghton, MI, and if I had spent half as much time fishin as I did drinkin, I would be on one of the pro circuits now. 3 1/2 years later I spend far more time fishin than drinkin, but you can never make up for lost time.
I now not only drill holes for those less fortunate around me, but I also cook the occasional hot lunch for unsuspecting neighbors. It is a great way to meet people and learn a thing or two!
If you are ever going to Little Bay de Noc shoot me an email!

------------------
Wables

It's funny. On my normal Dead River spot, there's a group of shanties about 100 yards away every year. Everytime I stopped by, I'd open the door to find a forestry student with books spread all over the floor, coffee goin, and a vex hummin away. Talk about multi tasking!

chunk
"Where's my fish whistle?"